Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Oil At 10,000 Miles! (Update 10-03-2015: no more oil burned)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Burning Oil At 10,000 Miles! (Update 10-03-2015: no more oil burned)

That's right, I've had to add 1 full quart to my engine in the last 10777 miles (1/2 quarts per oil change). I've changed the oil/filter (0W20 Mobile full synthetic) twice at the proper intervals. I drive 750 miles per week and I think I'm going to give this car back to the dealer.

Technical info: 2015 DE, CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unacceptable in my opinion. Back to the dealer is where I would go, make sure you bring your paperwork for the parts you've used for your oil changes. you don't want to give them any reason not to correct the situation. Don't worry you have a warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    That's right, I've had to add 1 full quart to my engine in the last 10777 miles (1/2 quarts per oil change). I've changed the oil/filter (0W20 Mobile full synthetic) twice at the proper intervals. I drive 750 miles per week and I think I'm going to give this car back to the dealer.

Technical info: 2015 DE, CVT.
    It's definitely above average for a Mitsubishi but compared to BMW, Audi & Subaru, not even close.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My new Saturn burned a quart every three thousand km. I tried getting warranty but the dealership said it had to be a quart every 500 miles (800 km) before it was considered a defect. I haven't owned a GM product since. The shifting was absolutely sloppy. The car was conceived as an excellent idea and then nickle and dimed into extinction by the morons in the accounting department.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Dont hold your breath.... mitsu has a hard time admitting fault for suspensions that are clearly out of alignment.

How do u think they will react when u tell them ur cars burning oil?

Best of luck! Maybe ur dealer is one of the better ones!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention the rings. They may not be seated properly. Before taking it to the dealer change the oil to a regular 5w-30 and then on the way to work rev the thing to 5000+ rpm a few times a day for a week. The low range may be needed. Also try accelerating moderately going uphill. Don't abuse it, by any means but get it under a good load multiple times.

That will force the rings against the cylinder walls and hopefully create a better seal. After a week or so change back to the light oil and see if things have changed. If this doesn't work, you are out of six litres of oil and some time, but if it does, your satisfaction is priceless. I wish you all the best.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I forgot to mention the rings. They may not be seated properly. Before taking it to the dealer change the oil to a regular 5w-30 and then on the way to work rev the thing to 5000+ rpm a few times a day for a week. The low range may be needed. Also try accelerating moderately going uphill. Don't abuse it, by any means but get it under a good load multiple times.

That will force the rings against the cylinder walls and hopefully create a better seal. After a week or so change back to the light oil and see if things have changed. If this doesn't work, you are out of six litres of oil and some time, but if it does, your satisfaction is priceless. I wish you all the best.
    I had a 2007 Dodge Megacab with the 5.7 V8. It wasn't until 30,000 miles until it quit burning oil. I had switched to synthetic at the first oil change and it burned a quart every 3000 until I hit 30k. I used a larger filter so the capacity was 7.5 quarts. Oil changes were expensive indeed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I remember my 08 1500 ram... those changed always costed close to $80-$90...

Mirage is $35 full syn ( mitsu filter tho. Mobile 1 next change)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So it burned 1qt for last 10K... how did you break it in?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been checking mine every 500 miles just to make sure it's not burning any. Almost to 3k miles and it's down just a little. I expected it to burn some during break in especially. With just a little over 3 quart capacity been making sure the level is good. But I was pretty careful with it for the 1st 500 miles (didn't go over 3000 rpm). Kept it under 4000 rpm until I had 2k on the motor. Now I just let the cruise control do the thinking. Climbing hills I've seen it rev up to 4800 rpm for a moment then it settles down to right around 4000 rpm, which is torque peak.