Thread: air or nitrogen?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

air or nitrogen?

I just had to add air to my 2015 for the first time (bought in December), all four tires had 27 lbs cold.
    Couldn't find nitrogen in a pinch, so put in air (from my compressor, with a water separator). Does anyone know if Mitsubishi recommends nitrogen? I am concerned about keeping moisture out of the wheels and also the tpms sensors. Although I doubt much got through my filter/separator, some could be in the lines.
    The Mirage is the first car I've had with tpms, not sure how they tolerate moisture.
    Thanks for any info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My TPMS sensor just came on the other day, and I'm at 28 on some, and 27.5 on another. My valve stem covers are green, and I just talked to my dealership service department and confirmed that they use nitrogen. They'll top it off for free, no appointment.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that CostCo will also top off your tires with nitrogen, whether you bought them there or not, as long as you're a member.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

mine are not green, maybe nitrogen is dealer item?

Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    My TPMS sensor just came on the other day, and I'm at 28 on some, and 27.5 on another. My valve stem covers are green, and I just talked to my dealership service department and confirmed that they use nitrogen. They'll top it off for free, no appointment.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that CostCo will also top off your tires with nitrogen, whether you bought them there or not, as long as you're a member.
    I'd like to do my own, maybe buy a tank of nitrogen if not expensive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I'd like to do my own, maybe buy a tank of nitrogen if not expensive.
    I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it unless you filled a *lot* of tires. Looks like Harbor Freight no longer has it, but they used to sell a nitrogen tire inflation kit with tank for $180. Somewhere else, I saw a tank refill from a welding place runs around $20, so so once you have the kit it's not too bad. Of course, nitrogen is free from my dealership, and they're2 miles from my work, so that helps my decision.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nitrogen is a gimmick with no actual benefits. Nitrogen is less susceptible to pressure changes due to temperature than regular air, which actually reduces your fuel economy slightly. With normal air, the pressure increases a little when the tire warms up. This increase in pressure helps lower rolling resistance slightly. Nitrogen maintains a constant pressure.

Don't bother, just use air.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Nitrogen is a gimmick with no actual benefits. Nitrogen is less susceptible to pressure changes due to temperature than regular air, which actually reduces your fuel economy slightly. With normal air, the pressure increases a little when the tire warms up. This increase in pressure helps lower rolling resistance slightly. Nitrogen maintains a constant pressure.

Don't bother, just use air.
    Personally prefer to use 78% nitrogen mix

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Personally prefer to use 78% nitrogen mix
    Nice science quiz there cyclopathic! Me too, it's good old fashioned air that we breathe

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Nice science quiz there cyclopathic! Me too, it's good old fashioned air that we breathe
    what you really don't wanna use is CO2 cartridges.

Had tried it once on MTB, in winter (~30F) took several cartridges to pump tire, but when got bike home tire warmed up and exploded. This may explain why:
    Name:  vgietv.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  19.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)