Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Drain Plug Gasket/Washer?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Holy mackarel!

Haha, thanks for confirming what I was suspecting guys. I KNEW that was strange that there was no gasket/washer! I just thought, well..I guess this drain plug/oil pan is designed differently to not need a gasket/washer. Should've known..

I really don't know then what happened. Definitely, the car did NOT come with one. I know my first oil change was definitely a nightmare, but I remember specifically looking for the oil gasket/washer and having a 'wow' moment thinking that the plug/pan was somehow designed differently since it was not there.

I'm going to go for a low oil change interval this time, only going to wait 3k miles b/c now I know that I have a gasket missing that SHOULD be there! Sucks too, b/c I just filled the car up with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20, their best oil :-(

Next question: any part #'s for compatible drain plug gaskets?

Only thing I could find was Dorman: 095-141 - it appears to be the crush washer type. Wouldn't mind a solid washer type like my old Mazda used to have.

Thanks again guys.

-Charlie-
    Dude don't waste 3 qts of perfectly good oil to keep 3 tablespoons from dripping out. It will be fine until the regular oci

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Drain the oil into clean container, install washer and drain plug, refill oil.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi guys, just wanted to give an update. I bought the Dorman crush washers for the drain plug immediately after I finished the oil change last week via RockAuto just in case. Well..it's been a week and no leak so far! I'm thinking that the 'leak' is SO slow that it takes me over 5k miles for some of it to show on the drain plug. All my previous oil changes had been at 4-4.5k miles and I did not notice anything. My last one I waited till 5,250 miles which is where I noticed the oil residue on the oil plug. My theory is that if I change around 4.5k, crush washer will be unnecessary..though we will see. I will be checking under my car weekly now just to make sure.

Here's 2 pics of both sides of the crush washer:

Name:  IMGP0017.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0018.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  98.5 KB

I have never installed a crush washer before. As you can see, one side is flat, and the other side has an outer and inner ring, with the inner being more abcessed than the outer. There were no instructions that came with the washer, so I was a little unsure as to which side should face the drain plug, and which side should face the oil pan. Washer used on my Mazda was a 'normal' one, both sides being symmetrical and flat.

You guys would not believe the amount of conflicting answers you can get trying to Google this. What made sense to me was to have the flat side facing the drain plug bolt, so the other side can crush in on itself to the oil pan. My logic being that it is the oil pan that is the more irregular surface, thus necessitating the crushing action for a better seal.

I wanted to make sure so I did an online chat with a Dorman rep, and was told that you do indeed want to have the flat side facing the drain plug bolt as I suspected.

Some people on car forums were saying that it doesn't matter - it has to matter for a crush washer though. If it did not, BOTH sides would be flat, and would not be manufactured the way it is.

Anyways:
    1) Are these the same washers everyone else is using? If so, where'd you get them? Dealership, rockauto, local auto parts store?
    2) Which way have you been installing the crush washer?

-Charlie-

Thanks
    Personally I prefer a flat aluminum washer. I don't torque them down real high and I can reuse the washer indefinitely.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agree with Old Mech, I use the flat aluminum as well
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've used aluminum or copper washers. They work well.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Can you guys tell me what size of washer fits the OEM drain plug?

Gonna do DIY oil change and i can't bring my plug to the autoshop for fitting/comparison, so i need to buy the washer without the benefit of pre-fitting.

Thanks alot.

If you can share the size of the washer/gasket for the CVT fluid drain, i'd appreciate it as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
    Can you guys tell me what size of washer fits the OEM drain plug?

Gonna do DIY oil change and i can't bring my plug to the autoshop for fitting/comparison, so i need to buy the washer without the benefit of pre-fitting.

Thanks alot.

If you can share the size of the washer/gasket for the CVT fluid drain, i'd appreciate it as well.
    The inside diameter of the factory oil plug crush washer is 13.75mm. The outside diameter is 19.00mm.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-18-2019),Eggman (01-18-2019)

I've never replaced the washer for the cvt yet. I've reused the same one many times and never had a leak yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've never replaced the washer for the cvt yet. I've reused the same one many times and never had a leak yet.
    This is for the engine oil. I use the same dorman ones shown in the pic. I use them for two changes each.
    Where can I get flat aluminum ones?