Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Drain Plug Gasket/Washer?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Drain Plug Gasket/Washer?

Hi guys, I noticed this when I did my first oil change for the car. You take off the oil drain plug, and there is NO drain plug gasket/washer. Does everyone else that changed their own oil not have one as well? I thought it was standard.

Reason why I ask: Since I did not see a washer already being used, I just put the drain plug back on without one. I have done this for 2 oil changes after and did not see any leakage. I check my oil levels, things are fine.

However, just did another oil change today and when I went to take the drain plug off, it had a good layer of oil residue on it, along with the surrounding area of the oil pan. Plug was NOT loose.

Do I need a gasket/washer? If so, why was there not one WITH the car already (bought it new)?

'Leak' does not seem serious as I do not see any oil stains on the parking lot where it sits overnight. However, I wish to remedy this anyways. Call me a stickler for details, but I want a perfect seal.

Thanks in advance for sharing anything.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I had a gasket which came with my Mirage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Charlie (09-08-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Are you sure it wasn't stuck to the oil pan? This happens quite a bit to me.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Either that or maybe you just lost it the first time... You did have a whole lot going on that first change.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Holy mackarel!

Haha, thanks for confirming what I was suspecting guys. I KNEW that was strange that there was no gasket/washer! I just thought, well..I guess this drain plug/oil pan is designed differently to not need a gasket/washer. Should've known..

I really don't know then what happened. Definitely, the car did NOT come with one. I know my first oil change was definitely a nightmare, but I remember specifically looking for the oil gasket/washer and having a 'wow' moment thinking that the plug/pan was somehow designed differently since it was not there.

I'm going to go for a low oil change interval this time, only going to wait 3k miles b/c now I know that I have a gasket missing that SHOULD be there! Sucks too, b/c I just filled the car up with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20, their best oil :-(

Next question: any part #'s for compatible drain plug gaskets?

Only thing I could find was Dorman: 095-141 - it appears to be the crush washer type. Wouldn't mind a solid washer type like my old Mazda used to have.

Thanks again guys.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Holy mackarel!

Haha, thanks for confirming what I was suspecting guys. I KNEW that was strange that there was no gasket/washer! I just thought, well..I guess this drain plug/oil pan is designed differently to not need a gasket/washer. Should've known..

I really don't know then what happened. Definitely, the car did NOT come with one. I know my first oil change was definitely a nightmare, but I remember specifically looking for the oil gasket/washer and having a 'wow' moment thinking that the plug/pan was somehow designed differently since it was not there.

I'm going to go for a low oil change interval this time, only going to wait 3k miles b/c now I know that I have a gasket missing that SHOULD be there! Sucks too, b/c I just filled the car up with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20, their best oil :-(

Next question: any part #'s for compatible drain plug gaskets?

Only thing I could find was Dorman: 095-141 - it appears to be the crush washer type. Wouldn't mind a solid washer type like my old Mazda used to have.

Thanks again guys.

-Charlie-

Why use a drain plug at all. I'm going to order one of these. I've had them other vehicles. Best invention ever.

http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?p...&partnumber=33

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Mine has one.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Mine has one.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-08-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Why use a drain plug at all. I'm going to order one of these. I've had them other vehicles. Best invention ever.

http://www.fumotousa.com/parts.php?p...&partnumber=33
    THAT is cool. Can I thank a post more than once?

Does this valve interfere with anything, or is it at all susceptible to any damage say, from road hazards? I would hate to bump against a curb while parking and break this off.

Edit: Can this be stickied?
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-09-2015 at 12:26 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    It will be hanging below the oil pan and could be broken off by road debris.

regards
    mech