Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVT Neutral or Not !

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts

CVT Neutral or Not !

I've been thinking about my CVT and how it operates differently than a multi-speed automatic. Since the CVT is never really disengaged I was thinking that when you are sitting at a stop light isn't the belt technically slipping which would mean increasing wear? Upon reviewing the owner's manual I came across these two statements.

Page 5-42 Neutral--At this position, the transmission is disengaged. It is the same as the neutral position on a manual transaxle and should be used when the vehicle is not moving for an extended length of time during driving, such as in a traffic jam.

Page 5-43 Waiting--For short waiting periods, such as at traffic lights, the vehicle can be left in selector lever position and held stationary with the service brake. For longer waiting periods with the engine running, place the selector lever in the “N” (NEUTRAL) position and apply the parking brake, while holding the vehicle stationary with the service brake.

The owner's manual never really states outright the reason to do this but in all actuality isn't this to reduce wear on the belt? So I'm thinking that in order to prolong the longevity of the CVT as long as possible wouldn't it be prudent to shift into neutral when you have to wait more than 30 seconds?

Let the debate begin! Oh, and don't be neutral (pun intended).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-11-2015)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    AS&G system does some of the tricks when waiting at traffic lights etc.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Cleartec Invite CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star 1.2 automatic: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffu View Post
    AS&G system does some of the tricks when waiting at traffic lights etc.
    So true! Be interesting to know what AS&G does with the transmission right before shut down. What about transmission heat issues with AS&G? I'm thinking about heavy stop and go in really hot climates. Or is AS&G only available in more temperate climates in Europe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The Mirage was touted as having idle neutral logic which supposedly shifts to neutral when you stop. So, its confusing to me to see the user manual basically say you should still shift to neutral if you're sitting for long...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    The Mirage was touted as having idle neutral logic which supposedly shifts to neutral when you stop. So, its confusing to me to see the user manual basically say you should still shift to neutral if you're sitting for long...
    I know right? So I think the slippage is minimized but apparently not eliminated.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I understand it, this CVT transmission we have is a hybrid of sorts between a typical automatic transmission and a conventional CVT transmission. It has a torque converter just as in an automatic transmission, a 2 speed gear box, and the CVT belt setup.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    As I understand it, this CVT transmission we have is a hybrid of sorts between a typical automatic transmission and a conventional CVT transmission. It has a torque converter just as in an automatic transmission, a 2 speed gear box, and the CVT belt setup.
    That's my understanding too. But there must not be complete disconnect while stopped. I can always feel it shift into the lower range at a stop but there always seems to be some transmission engagement. Hence, why the suggestion that you place the transmission in neutral for long waits?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That's my understanding too. But there must not be complete disconnect while stopped. I can always feel it shift into the lower range at a stop but there always seems to be some transmission engagement. Hence, why the suggestion that you place the transmission in neutral for long waits?

I agree and feel it too. The torque converter is not a 100% disconnect and if I ease off the brake slightly with pressure still on the pedal the car will ease forward. Once I release the brake completely, you can feel the car very slightly lunge forward as if it fully engages into a gear. It has been an odd transmission to get used to.

Here lately, I have been coasting up to stop lights in neutral to improve fuel economy(I got 56 mpg this morning on my normal 20 mile commute) and only putting it in gear right before I leave from a complete stop. This has helped fuel economy, and made the ride smoother too as I never feel the transmission downshift.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Here lately, I have been coasting up to stop lights in neutral to improve fuel economy
    You just shift into neutral while moving?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    You just shift into neutral while moving?
    I notice that the manual doesn't state that placing the transmission in neutral while moving will damage the transmission.
    Page 5-42 says this about neutral: At this position, the transmission in disengaged. It is the same as the neutral position on a manual transaxle.

Page 5-42 also gives this warning: Never move the selector lever to the “N” (NEUTRAL) position while driving since you could accidentally slip it into the “P” (PARK) or “R” (REVERSE) position, damaging the transmission.

Nothing about damage to the transmission rolling while in neutral. Just a warning about the risk of placing the transmission in reverse and park. Pulse and glide anyone?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (09-12-2015)