Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 inch Pioneer speakers

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Question 4 inch Pioneer speakers

Hi guys,

Have a good question.... I know the factory speakers are ok, and I know the ridiculous triangle speaker hole is the cause of issues, (I was seriously thinking of cutting the doors this afternoon) but I was wondering if I could put smaller, but better speakers in without having to modify the doors or cutting up the old speakers for the housing... I really don't want to do that.....

The ones I'm looking at are Pioneer and they're 4 inch... I know I may have to get speaker mounts, but I'm looking for a solution....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just cut the door. We put 2 pairs of TS-A1685 ($$95 total) and it made all the difference.

On fronts you need to make adapters otherwise they will touch windows. On rears there is enough depth to screw them directly. Since you have to have them you may use 1/2" plywood and then there is no need to cut door.

Alternatively if you don't want to cut doors you can buy an adapter (the ones for other Mitsu also fit) or use OEM speakers to make an adapter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-13-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks cyclopathic, :-) I managed to find a set of 6 inch Pioneer TS -F1634R, for the fronts... They've got a depth of 41mm so I'll only need a speaker mount.... Pretty impressed actually.... They were the last ones....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181845771...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by laceygirl; 09-13-2015 at 09:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love Pioneers got them in 2 cars. The dynamics and clarity is simply amazing, and they don't cost you arm and leg. No wonder they are top rated in reviews: http://car-speakers-review.toptenrev...rs-review.html.

Box comes with template, so if you're ok with basic woodworking get a piece of plywood, cut adapters, screw them to door and put speakers on top. I wish I didn't cut doors before I found that I need adapters anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-13-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yes I've always liked them.... Just crisp and clean....

Do you like the subwoofer?

Name:  Pioneer Subwoofer.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  79.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Yes I've always liked them.... Just crisp and clean....

Do you like the subwoofer?

Name:  Pioneer Subwoofer.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  79.7 KB
    I've looked at getting sub; actually this one: TS-WH500
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU.../HVT/TS-WH500A

but it is not at the top of the list.

I'd like to fix rattles in front door plastics and then get one of their head units with 13 band AutoEQ which use external mic to fine tune EQ/time delays prior to looking into adding amp/sub. the TSAs speakers are rated down to 34Hz, so hopefully with good EQ they will be enough to get by.

BTW if you are replacing speakers take time to soundproof doors. We used 1.5 roll of Peel&Seal ($17ea at Lowes), and that made huge difference in noise level and quality of sound.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-14-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thank you cyclopathic, that's great idea... I might hold off installing the speakers, I bought a rear set today as well..... We are going to completely sound proof the car, doors and all

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Thank you cyclopathic, that's great idea... I might hold off installing the speakers, I bought a rear set today as well..... We are going to completely sound proof the car, doors and all
    I am lazy and don't have much free time, so we (my son&me) were just doing one piece a time. The biggest improvement is from front doors, but surprisingly rears meant more than I thought they would. To do the floor you'll need to take seats and carpeting, so that is on waiting list too. I suspect soundproofing floors and especially front wheel wells will make difference too.

IMHO there is no need to bother with roof/pillars, Mirage has very clean aero design and comparing to other cars not much wind noise to worry about.

Go to youtube, search for Peel&Seal soundproof and there are several videos explaining how to do it. You can wallpaper it wall to wall, but if you just tap and put pieces where it rings it will work as well. Do not forget to insulate piece of metal inside running across window, and secure plastic screw clips.

Here is link to P&S; I wonder if it(or similar) is sold down-under.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...ductId=1018733

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed. Always had pioneers for highs and mid. RFosgates for subs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-14-2015)

Country
    Ireland
    Thanks
    Are you saying that you can fit the Pioneer TS-F1634R speakers without cutting the into the door metal ?