Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mirage vs Kia Picanto

Country
    Finland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    From my understanding the EU Space Star also comes with smaller 1.0L engine, and 1.2L with manual transmission has higher final drive, so it would get better fuel economy at expense of worse acceleration in 1st and top gear. From experience changing final drive on motorcycles you get used to different shift points, so the driving dynamics btw lowest and highest gear do not suffer.
    If I understand you correctly, it is not feasible to have the 1.0L engine in places with steep hills and muddy roads. The thing is that if I configure the Space Star with the 1.2L engine, I begin to approach the price level of a Yaris.

Last edited by philby; 09-19-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    Therefore I would never have bought the 1.0 liter version. But the 1.2 liter engine with the european specification has more power and torque (80 PS, 106 Nm) and in 5th gear can also climb steeper hills, so when the car is rolling it is unbeatable economical (especially because of the good aerodynamic and low weight).
    Are you saying that the 1.0L engine is so bad that it becomes almost unusable in rural-rugged conditions?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    Are you saying that the 1.0L engine is so bad that it becomes almost unusable in rural-rugged conditions?
    The 1.0 will be fine. You just need to give it more stick. Yes - It *feels* slow, but let's put this in context... The 1.0 has 68bhp from memory and similar torque, albeit higher in the rev range. It still gets to 60mph in about 13.5 seconds. My old Hyundai i10 (1.1 manual) had 65bhp, was heavier (990-1005kg depending on exact spec) and got to 60 in a leisurely 15.6 seconds. My partner's Suzuki Alto automatic has a snarling 68bhp 998 triple just like the 1.0 Mirage and is hooked up to a Jatco 4-speed auto. That gets to 60 in 17 seconds or thereabouts. We both have occasion to drive in adverse conditions - Hilly, rural, etc.

Now - with both cars, we sometimes had/have thoughts of a 'If I had an extra xx horsepower, I'd be able to......' - of course we have. Thing is, I've previously owned some very powerful cars indeed, and that "Just a a bit more power...." thought never changes. But have we ever felt the need, like a lot of people do, to take to the internet and write a hysterical post/blog/FaceTwitterSpace update along the lines of "OMG!! My car is sooooo slow it almost killed me through its lack of speed/acceleration/warp power!!!!111111oneoneoneoneone"?

No, we haven't.
    Last edited by Teasmade; 09-19-2015 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Typos...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

philby (09-19-2015)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Gear ratio and final drive of the european Space Star 1.0 and 1.2 are identical according to the specification tables of several countries, but I canīt find a Space Star 1.0 on the Finnish homepage?

I would make a testdrive with the car before buying it, then you will know if the car is suitable for your application.

And I didnīt find a switch to turn of traction control until now in my Space Star. Where should it be?
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    And I didnīt find a switch to turn of traction control until now in my Space Star. Where should it be?
    You probably don't have one. UK-spec cars don't have a TCL Off switch either. We can disable the ASG, but that's it. Must be a euro thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    I canīt find a Space Star 1.0 on the Finnish homepage?
    Interesting observation. I see that the 1.0 motor is offered in Norway, but not in Sweden and Finland, which is weird. If anything, the landscape is usually steeper in Norway than in either Sweden or Finland. In any case, I was planning on getting the Space Star in your country in order to save a few bucks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't comment on 1L it is not sold in USA. The 1.2 5MT comes with higher final drive used on your 1L, and it is very lively at highway speeds, car has more pickup than others with double power, and rolls fine in top vear at 30MPH 50km/h.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 09-20-2015 at 12:00 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    The 1.0 Litre isn't sold in Australia either.... Not enough grunt...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I have the 1.oL with the European MT and do a lot of highway driving, but also lots of travel on very small and steep alpine roads and passes.
    The 1.0 with the taller European MT is perfect for that, but If you want a sports car, buy one!

The 1.0 Mirage is great as a small family car. It is not a sports car, and if it were, I would not have bought one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I have the 1.oL with the European MT and do a lot of highway driving, but also lots of travel on very small and steep alpine roads and passes.
    The 1.0 with the taller European MT is perfect for that, but If you want a sports car, buy one!

The 1.0 Mirage is great as a small family car. It is not a sports car, and if it were, I would not have bought one.

I so agree with you. I wish they had the 1.0 with here. The tranny is better on the 1.0 in EU then USA. Quick pickup and higher gear at top speed. Mine does 4k rpm at 130kph. Quite high vs CVT at 2.8k rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)