Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage vs Kia Picanto

Country
    Finland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage vs Kia Picanto

Name:  Kia-Picanto-Netherlands-February-2015.-Picture-courtesy-largus.fr_.jpg
Views: 14314
Size:  72.2 KB

Greetings,

I am caught between purchasing Mirage (Space Star) or Kia Picanto. I would assume that some here gave both cars a fair hearing before they opted for the one over the either.

As far as I can see, they are both reliable cars manufactured by two companies that stand behind their products.

I have two questions:

1. If both cars cost exactly the same, which would you choose?
    2. Are there any compelling reasons for choosing the Mirage over the Picanto?

Thanks.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 10-06-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: (add pic)

Welcome, philby.

We don't get the Picanto in North America, unfortunately. (I'd like to see more competition in this segment.)

So I'll be watching to see what others have to say.

Did you happen to search for this comparison elsewhere?

---

EDIT ... see related thread...
    Thread: Mirage getting more competition in Australia: Kia Picanto

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick feedback:

I have seen a few direct comparisons on youtube, but they are too general to be of any real value. I also asked a car dealer who was adamant that the Kia was better, but I soon realised that he knew almost nothing about the Mirage. Kia Picanto generally has better expert reviews than the Mirage, whereas the actual owners of both cars are equally pleased as far as I can judge. I am hoping for some all-decisive arguments in favour of the one or the other.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    We have a lot of Picantos in the UK. I haven't driven the current (2011-onwards) generation Picanto, but it is based upon the Mk1 Hyundai i10 chassis, albeit with tweaks and improvements. I owned a Mk1 i10 for four years and I would sum up as follows:

The i10 was more involving and 'sportier' to drive - better feedback through the steering wheel and much easier to 'feel' through a corner; As the Picanto is a Kia (and Hyundai position Kia as their young/sporty marque), I would expect this to be the same with the Picanto.

It was well put together in terms of fit and finish - on a par with the Mirage, but the Mirage seems better engineered to my eye (things were always harder to get at and more easily broken on the i10 than they should have been - and the floating front strut design was bloody awful from a servicing and repair point of view.

The Mirage is considerably quieter and significantly more comfortable. It's also more spacious and practical. The downside of the comfort is that I describe the Mirage as a car that 'flobbles' around a corner. The i10 was easier to set up into a bend and hung on just as well, despite a shorter wheelbase and narrower track. What's most frustrating is that you can feel that, beneath the jelly suspension, the Mirage has a nice stiff bodyshell.

The flip side to that, of course, is that whilst the Mirage doesn't communicate its intentions very clearly (if indeed at all!), the i10 would never shut up - and that was much more tiring. It's a personal taste thing, but the Mirage is a much more soothing car to drive.

Despite being bigger and newer, the Mirage is cheaper to tax (lower CO2 emissions) and insurance is cheaper.

The BIG thing though is fuel economy... I gather that Hyundai/Kia have had their bottoms smacked in the US for overstating their fuel economy claims. They're just as bad in the UK. The i10 claimed 56mpg all in. I never once saw that. Ever. If you look here, it seems that the Picanto similarly dissappoints in the real world:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/kia/picanto-2011

The Mirage runs rings around my old i10 and on the basis of the above, the current Picanto. Nearly all my fill ups are between 60~63mpg (Imperial).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-17-2015),MetroMPG (09-17-2015),philby (09-17-2015)

Teasmade: well put, and entertaining to boot!

Picanto generally has better expert reviews than the Mirage
    This always seems to come down to a question of handling/responsiveness. And the Mirage has been roundly criticized in the enthusiast press for dull steering & its soft suspension... which on the other hand is surprisingly comfortable, able to soak up rough roads (its design goal, after all).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Thanks, you confirmed many of my impressions. How would you say the Mirage fares against the more expensive small cars such as Mazda 2, Honda Jazz, and Toyota Yaris? Does the difference between the Mirage and the three menitioned models equal a quantum leap so to speak?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Haven't driven a Yaris or Mazda 2 of any flavour or era, so can't really comment. As for the Jazz - I've driven a 2011 Hybrid. I had it for the day whilst my i10 was being serviced, and I looked at them again before buying the Mirage.

The Hybrid Jazz felt soft and comfortable. Interior materials were of a higher quality than the mirage. Felt unashamedly Japanese (meaning buttons everywhere, bright clear displays and a feeling - to my mind - of being built "For sole purpose of transporting you, Driver-San to destination, with highest reliabililty as demanded by Emperor Honda.")The CVT was smooth and also had paddles on the steering wheel. The fuel computer was excellent at coaching one on the correct application of braking and acceleration for economy. Engine was smooth, IMA system worked well and you could feel it bolster the torque when required. Spacious interior and boot, engine bay a little cramped.

MPG on the day I had it (around 3 hours of driving) worked out at 61MPG by the fuel computer over mostly 50/60mph roads. I would have purchased one (the Hybrid) quite happily, but I was able to purchase an 18 month old Mirage with 6000 miles for the same money as a 4 year old Jazz Hybrid with over 50,000 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

philby (09-17-2015)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    I have never before owned a car and I am buying one now, not because I want to, but because I have no choice (new job). My main criterion is reliability. Reliability before everything else. On that basis alone: can you recommend the Mirage unreservedly?

Thanks
    After 7k miles on mine, the ONLY issue I have is rear wheel alignment. I have solved that temporarily and am waiting for Mitsubishi to come up with a repair or replacement rear axle. Other than that I love this car and have been driving since 1965 in hundreds of different cars.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Japanese cars are usually very reliable... I owned the older Mirage (a 1997) I drove it into the ground, put 400 000k's on it, and it never missed a beat... Its very rare to see a Mitsubishi pulled over on the side of the road with engine trouble... Mine is a brand new Mirage now, and its just a pleasure to drive... I had my mother in laws Mazda 6 for two days, I drove it a little and its not as enjoyable as the Mirage.. Sure is comfy, but its just big and no fun factor.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)