Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

An interesting observation on fuel economy

Looking at the fuel log at http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage.php

Seems that Mirage owner MPG falls into 3 categories:
    - hypermillers with MPG in mid-upper 50s or 60s
    - middle of the road group with MPG in 40s (42 to 48)
    - low 30s group.

I understand the hypermiller and middle of the road groups. Hypermillers are the ones who see MPG as ultimate challenge, and take additional steps such as shutting off engine, coasting, etc to bring it up. The ones who are getting MPG in 40s are most likely driving in extra-urban cycle with at least 10-15mi or longer commute routes. Not really using hyper-saving techniques, but not kicking tires either.

How could you possibly get consistent MPG in low 30s in this car? Lots of short trips? cold weather? 100% city driving? racing off every traffic light? all above? eh?

Could anyone care to explain?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had lots of idling time and it killed my mileage. I'm averaging 44mpg in half city and half highway driving. I have found that the brand of fuel matters a little also. I get better fuel consumption from regular than premium fuel.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Change all your halogens globes to LED and watch the power and fuel be saved.... I have entered four fuel log entries, and you can tell when I put new headlights and replaced all my globes.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm in the middle, getting around 44mpg. 5MT. Most of my drives are ~5 miles, in the city. Gentle acceleration, coasting to red lights when possible, but always more or less keeping up with (reasonable) traffic. Haven't dealt with winter yet to see its effects, though I've got my engine block heater installed and am excited to see how it helps. Whenever possible, I do get CostCo gas, since it's cheaper and supposedly "better". It may or may not be an excuse to go get a churro though.

Even when I essentially idled for 2 hours while the entire freeway had to merge and exit due to a car accident, I still got 42mpg that tank.

If I had to guess, I would say "racing off every traffic light" would be the biggest culprit for low mileage. I'll say this though, my wife drives like me, about the same route, and only gets 26mpg in her 2010 Hyundai Accent (automatic). So low 30's for pedal mashers is still pretty awesome, comparatively.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive it like I stole it. My other car is a racecar, so I don't exactly drive the Mirage nice. Outside temperature is the biggest culprit I've seen. 15mpg difference along same route between cool mornings and hot afternoons.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticMirage For This Useful Post:

kerc (09-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I would say two factors weigh heavily towards low mpg's. Short commutes (mine is 1 mile each way) and heavy AC usage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    I drive it like I stole it.
    I need you to teach me how to drive then, because you're having more fun with your Mirage than I am, and getting ~8mpg better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've gotten 36 on short trip with a/C on, but how could you get consistent 32 tank after tank.

Is there a problem with the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I would say two factors weigh heavily towards low mpg's. Short commutes (mine is 1 mile each way) and heavy AC usage.
    Short trips... A/C usage... in the city... possibly with a heavy foot (particularly bad if you're a "late braker") = Quadruple whammy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I rev the heck out of it (4K-5K), downshift when slowing down, and toss it around with reckless abandon. It's fun but messes up fuel economy.