Thread: Kill switch?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Kill switch?

anyone had wired an engine kill switch?

I really hate to use turn off key and loose radio/power steering/etc while moving.

I realized you will have to use key to get restarted, but this is only if you stopped and cannot bump-start it

On a second thought starter button? how about ES?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I am having my kill switch installed this afternoon, by my auto electrician..... Would you like me to ask him anything? He's coming to my house....

Mine will only be an ignition kill switch, but you can add as many as you like.... I read an excellent article in Popular Mechanics about them...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Just posted:

Thread: DIY engine kill switch (via Crankshaft Position Sensor interrupt)

Better late than never?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I have installed a German Hella Brand kill switch before. Here is a picture of one of them.

Name:  Hella Heavy Duty Battery Switch.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  36.7 KB

Some info:

Battery Master Lockout Switches

Battery lockout switches provide a reliable power disconnection and safety cutoff that protects the vehicle against tampering, theft and battery drain. It also protects personnel from electrical hazards during service operations.

• Composite-engineered polymer housing that will not corrode.
    • 300 A continuouscurrent rating at 12 V and 250 A at 24 V
    • Temperature operating range -40°C tom + 85°C
    • Divider on base prevents accidental shorting of battery cables
    • Easy to read designations on bezel and 90° switch travel make it easy to identify switch position

Lockout Switch, Red Handle 9MK 910 109-001*
    Lockout Switch, Yellow Handle 9MK 910 109-011*
    *Special order item.

Link to their page: https://www.hella.com/mining/en/Batt...ches-1500.html

You would have to special order it most likely through a full line Hella Dealer such as Susquehanna Motorsports. Their website is http://www.rallylights.com

A older version that is 100 amp rated is available readily in the US. Link to Amazon listings: https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0028430...7412411&sr=8-4

Nice thing about this one is that it has a removable key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Race car kill switch. Very different from a "hypermiler" kill switch.

That switch is designed to separate the engine from all sources of power (battery and alternator) and stop the engine in the event of a crash or fire. To accomplish that, it has to be capable of carrying ALL of the current that the alternator and battery can generate. Hence it's 300 Amp rating!

What we're talking about is a much lower rated switch to interrupt a very low amp (milliamp) ECU input signal. It needs to be reliable, yes. But, it doesn't need to be beefy. All it has to do is carry that small signal 99% of the time, and interrupt it when the driver wants the engine to stop.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Race car kill switch. Very different from a "hypermiler" kill switch.

That switch is designed to separate the engine from all sources of power (battery and alternator) and stop the engine in the event of a crash or fire. To accomplish that, it has to be capable of carrying ALL of the current that the alternator and battery can generate. Hence it's 300 Amp rating!

What we're talking about is a much lower rated switch to interrupt a very low amp (milliamp) ECU input signal. It needs to be reliable, yes. But, it doesn't need to be beefy. All it has to do is carry that small signal 99% of the time, and interrupt it when the driver wants the engine to stop.
    Ahh, I've only used the master kill switches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Ahh, I've only used the master kill switches.
    Well, they are more fun. Because race car.

Simplify and add lightness.