Thread: I need some information, please. (Brake pad replacement)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I need some information, please. (Brake pad replacement)

I am having the front brakes done on my 2019 ES, and was wondering if I need to have the shims replaced as well? The reason for the brake replacement is that one rotor is badly rusted( The car sat for quite a while at the stealership as it was the previous model year. I did not buy the pads from Mitsubishi as I can't afford their price. Will the OEM shims work with aftermarket pads? The pads are Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic, which come with stainless hardware but not shims. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the rotor is so rusty that it needs to be replaced, then replace the rotor. Leave the pads alone.

I'd imagine that if you just drove the car, the rust would get knocked off and be fine.

Either way, you don't need to replace brake pads just because there's rust on a rotor.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-08-2021),MacClyver (02-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    +1 for Loren!

Rotors are uncoated metal(whether steel or cast iron I don't recall). Let a car sit through a few rainstorms and they will get rusty, it is but surface rust. Hit the brakes and new shiny metal will be exposed.

PS. These were still functional when taken off, car had sat for years(possibly a decade) and the rust did eventually eat away at it. You can see just how little shiny metal the pads cleared. Still it was a working rotor.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb View Post
    The pads are Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic, which come with stainless hardware but not shims.
    Those Wagner pads do not use separate shims. The shim is essentially built into the backing plate of the pad. Here's a quote from Wagner...

ThermoQuiet® brake pads feature an exclusive Integrally Molded Insulator (IMI™) technology.
    The IMI™ eliminates the need for a conventional shim to dampen the brake noise.

Source: Wagner ThermoQuiet Brake Pads
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-08-2021 at 01:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    If the rotor is so rusty that it needs to be replaced, then replace the rotor. Leave the pads alone.

I'd imagine that if you just drove the car, the rust would get knocked off and be fine.

Either way, you don't need to replace brake pads just because there's rust on a rotor.
    Aren’t pads supposed to be replaced along with new rotors? Doesn’t groove-worn pads ruin shiny new rotors by cutting those grooves into the rotor, or provide reduced braking due to diminished contact area? Surface rust is not exactly a reason to replace rotors, it’s true.

What does new pads cost - twenty bucks? Doesn’t make sense to save that buck - not at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for all the feedback from everyone! It is greatly appreciated. The rotor on the passenger side is too badly rusted to simply replace the rotor and not the pads. It is so bad that only about two to three inches of the pad is actually making contact with the rotor. The pads on this side have been rendered un useable as a result. Thanks also to Top Fuel for the info on the Wagner pads! I am going to replace both rotors and pads just for peace of mind. I have a shop which has a good local reputation which I trust that will do the job. I live in a Strata, so doing it myself is not an option.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got warped rotors on my 2014 se after the dealer lubed my brakes for the first service that was more than an oil change. I put 2 different sets of brand new rotors(2nd set was premium and 1st set was only one available at the time) from rockauto and both vibrated/were warped. I gave up and had the dealer put new rotors on that I assume they machined them with an 'on car' brake lathe. They lasted a while before they started to vibrate too and lost both wheel bearings and the right axle that was replace under warranty. Just a heads up.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by obrother View Post
    I got warped rotors on my 2014 se after the dealer lubed my brakes for the first service that was more than an oil change. I put 2 different sets of brand new rotors(2nd set was premium and 1st set was only one available at the time) from rockauto and both vibrated/were warped. I gave up and had the dealer put new rotors on that I assume they machined them with an 'on car' brake lathe. They lasted a while before they started to vibrate too and lost both wheel bearings and the right axle that was replace under warranty. Just a heads up.
    I'm going with aftermarket, since I work in the Distribution Centre of a large auto parts firm. I will take my chances, since they can't be any worse than the CRAP that Mitsubishi supplied with the car. The one rotor is literally rusting away! I refuse to pay the ridiculous price that Mitsu. wants for rotors!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Brake rotors are cast iron. They rust. Every car does that. New rotors, old rotors. Factory or aftermarket. It's not a Mitsubishi parts problem, it's just the nature of cast iron. Now, I will agree that the price for any OE rotor is likely to be outrageous. You can obviously beat their price. But, the quality won't be any better... it's still a chunk of cast iron.

You can't paint the surface of a brake rotor, it's always going to be bare cast iron. If you don't drive the car daily, or at least fairly regularly, the rotors will rust.

Go buy the highest quality cast iron frying pan you can find. High quality OE cast iron brake rotor for the most expensive car you can think of. High quality cast iron engine block. Take your pick. Take that chunk of cast iron, REMOVE THE PAINT from it... spray it with the slightest amount of water and walk away. It will likely have surface rust beginning in a matter of hours. Definitely within days.

I'm just trying to express that Mitsubishi's brake rotors aren't "CRAP" just because they rusted like that. It's what brake rotors do.

Get some fresh brake parts on there, you'll be good to go! Enjoy!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb
    It is so bad that only about two to three inches of the pad is actually making contact with the rotor.
    That is the shadow of the brake pad where it deflected the rain and snow before it could hit the rotor. Seriously Get up to 40 mph on an empty street and hit your brakes a few times, you always have the handbrake and rear drums if the front brakes are broke. 99.9% chance of surface rust. After hitting your brakes a few times post a pic of your once again shiny rotors, or to prove us wrong.

You talk about not being able to afford the OEM parts, listen to us and save yourself a brake job.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Loren (02-10-2021)