Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Chevrolet Spark comparison

Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Chevrolet Spark comparison

In Canada and the U.S., we have relatively few small cars to choose from compared to most other countries. Here, the Mirage's primary (well, really its only) rival is the Chevrolet Spark.

How do they stack up?

Mirage vs. Spark comparison:

Price

At this point, all we know is the Mirage is going to be priced starting "below" (Canada) or "around" (U.S.) $13,000. That puts it head to head against the Spark.

Update - Aug 19th: the base prices (MSRP) for the 2014 Spark LS and the 2014 Mirage with manual transmissions are identical: $12,995 (from the respective manufacturers' websites.)

The automatic transmission option (which will make up the majority of sales) is more expensive in the Spark, starting at $14,305 vs. Mirage CVT at $13,995.

Fuel economy

The Mirage kicks the Spark's butt in this competition owing to its more efficient drivetrain, significantly lighter weight, and slipperier aerodynamics:

37 / 44 mpg
    (US) city / highway for the Mirage automatic CVT
    28 / 37 mpg (US) city / highway for the Spark automatic 4-speed

GM recently announced it will be replacing the Spark's 4-speed automatic with a CVT unit, which may help its fuel consumption.

The Mirage's excellent fuel economy and low price will likely win it one of the lowest total cost of ownership ratings of any car in this market.

Power

The Spark's 1.2L 4-cylinder makes 84 hp @ 6,400 rpm, beating the Mirage's 74 hp @ 6,000 RPM from its 1.2L 3-cylinder. Of course power needs to move weight...

Weight

The Mirage wins decisively here, tipping the scales below 2,000 lbs for the manual, vs. 2,337 lbs for the manual Spark. The Mirage is the lightest 4-door car currently available.

Braking

In an Australian comparison test, the Mirage beat the Spark in a panic stop from 40 mph (60 km/h):

Mirage: 49 ft / 14.9 m
    Spark: 58 ft / 17.6 m

Safety

Mirage was awarded a top 5-star rating by ANCAP. The Spark scored 4-stars. (Though Australian spec cars may not have the same safety equipment that North America will get. So final analysis will have to wait for U.S. crash tests.)

Passenger space

One major difference: the Mirage has seating for 5; the Spark is limited to 4. Mirage reviews consistently mention the surprising amount of room in the rear.

Storage space

With the rear seats in the upright position:

Mirage: 8.3 cu. ft. / 235 L
    Spark: 6 cu. ft. / 170 L

Warranty

Mitsubishi's 10-year powertrain warranty is the longest in the industry. Chevy offers a 5 year plan in the U.S.

---

Have you ever driven the little Chevy? Did you consider one before you decided on getting a Mirage? What were your impressions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-09-2013),Mikhail (08-25-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I believe the Mirage also beats the Spark out in cargo space as well.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I left out the question of styling, since it's so subjective. I personally prefer the the Chevy myself. But fuel economy/total cost of ownership still tips the scales in favour of the Mirage in my opinion.

I've seen a few Sparks on the road around here, but haven't gotten up close to one yet. I keep meaning to stop in the dealer to have a better look.

I had read that GM is selling a few more Sparks than they originally thought they would. Numbers are about 24,000 a year in the U.S. (annualized, based on sales figures from here).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I believe the Mirage also beats the Spark out in cargo space as well.
    Yeah, 235 vs. 170 litres, apparently. You can do the cu. ft. conversions.

I'll add that to the list.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    what about the new spark 2016 vs the new mirage 2017?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Both my son and I own 2013 Chevy Spark manuals. Real world fuel consumption is 40-42 mpg in the city without hypermiling. Traveling on interstate the at 75+ mph it drops to 38 mpg or so. The curb weight for an LT manual is 2269 lbs.

At the time we bought Chevy Sparks because the Mirage wasn't available in the US yet. That being said, I really like the Mirage and am probably going to purchase a 2017.

I think the biggest advantage the Spark has over the current Mirage is a firmer handling chassis. We modified our Sparks with an airbox mod, throttle body half shaft mod, muffler delete and shortened shifter. It gave a noticeable boost in power and with two resonators and a cat, the exhaust tone has a pleasant but subdued growl and is still quiet. I am anxious to find out if airbox and throttle body mods would give a similar boost to the Mitsubishi 1.2 three cylinder.

The updated front bodywork and firmer suspension along with a 4 horsepower bump on the 2017 model looks promising. I haven't driven a Mirage yet, but a lot of people have said the suspension could be a bit firmer, so it seems Mitsubishi has been listening to consumer feedback.

The 2016 Chevy Spark has a new 1.4 liter engine (versus the old 1.25) with 98 horsepower and a 1.6 inch lower roof line. Looks good on paper, but the engine is a newly designed GM ecotec with direct injection and variable oil pressure. With ethanol fuel I don't think any of the auto manufacturers have satisfactorily addressed the problem of gunked up intake valves caused by direct injection. The fancy variable oil pump sounds like a over complicated gimmick to me. I trusted the all Korean made (Daewoo) Spark and it has ran perfect for 69,000 miles so far.

No thanks ecotec, hello tried and true designed Mitsubishi!
    Last edited by Speedracer; 02-01-2016 at 07:05 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedracer For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-01-2016),Daox (02-01-2016)

Welcome, Speedracer!

I've read elsewhere that the manual Sparks can do quite well, fuel economy wise. Much better than the official ratings, just like the Mirage (and almost every other manual, for that matter.)

Can you comment at all on the reliability? Some people have posted here that's a concern.

---

mitsumi: You're right, we'll have to update the site with a new comparison to the redesigned 2016 Spark when some reviews start coming in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Speedracer.

Thanks for the insight into the Spark world.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's kinda funny being on this forum without a Mitsubishi Mirage, but as soon as I can get my hands on a 2017...

Both our Chevy Sparks have been very reliable. First oil change at 500 miles, every 5000 miles after that, full synthetic 5w30. No we didn't go for the GM recommended 5w20 with some ridiculous additive/rating. Valvoline Synchromesh in the gear box/transaxle at 50k.

My son has logged 55k, mine has 69k. I've had zero issues, my son hard a minor overheating issue caused by a broken nipple on the coolant overflow tank that clogged the coolant return line. Fixed by the dealer by simply replacing the overflow tank, but took them several days to figure it out.

Unfortunately I hit a deer when the Spark was six months old, took a month to get fixed. Drove a Nissan Altima S rental car. I hated that thing, drove like a boat and felt over boosted and vague, no road feel and no fun. The motor did have some get up and go though, but it ran funny because of the rubber band CVT transmission.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Speedracer For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (02-01-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    ah now i understand @speedracer i posted on your garage, after reading your post here i was just confused having a spark but all is welcome! hope to see your 2017 soon

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)