Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: DIY: The Oil Change

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Alton, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
    I used this:Name:  oil plug.PNG
Views: 322
Size:  42.3 KB



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (02-24-2021)

  3. #22
    Member edPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Portugal
    Country
    Portugal
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Hi all! I just want to show you a pic of my yesterday oil change. I did not used any jack or ramps. It have enough space if you turn the wheels fully to the right side. And I was able to remove the oil pan bolt very slowly with no mess.
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-01-02-09-01-05-937_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  91.4 KB

    (3A92 59kW)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)


  4. #23
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 393 Times in 313 Posts
    Nice, a no mess change is always the best. How did did manage to pull this off?My last change, Dec 15th, I had hot oil all over my arm
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  5. #24
    Member edPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Portugal
    Country
    Portugal
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Nice, a no mess change is always the best. How did did manage to pull this off?My last change, Dec 15th, I had hot oil all over my arm
    Basically I've started by removing the bolt slowly by hand and I kept a small force against the hole until I see a drip of oil (normally that happens when the bolt is almost completely off) then I rotated it until my hand become above the bolt and then I slowly opened the bottom part of the bolt (imagine like a hinge movement where the top of the hole is the fixed part) moving until have the bolt completely straight (head will be up). Then just have paper towel or so to clean the bolt. I have seen some guys on youtube doing this and it really works, specially on the Mirage that have the oil pan bolt with some angle. I hope that my explanation makes sense Next time you make that let me know if that worked to you
    Last edited by edPower; 01-02-2023 at 03:24 PM.

    (3A92 59kW)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)


  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,335
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edPower View Post
    Hi all! I just want to show you a pic of my yesterday oil change. I did not used any jack or ramps. It have enough space if you turn the wheels fully to the right side. And I was able to remove the oil pan bolt very slowly with no mess.
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-01-02-09-01-05-937_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  91.4 KB
    I like your homemade containers for catching the used oil.

  7. #26
    Member edPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Portugal
    Country
    Portugal
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like your homemade containers for catching the used oil.
    Actually the clothes detergent container is a good option because is stronger than the water bottles

    (3A92 59kW)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)


  8. #27
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 393 Times in 313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edPower View Post
    Basically I've started by removing the bolt slowly by hand and I kept a small force against the hole until I see a drip of oil (normally that happens when the bolt is almost completely off) then I rotated it until my hand become above the bolt and then I slowly opened the bottom part of the bolt (imagine like a hinge movement where the top of the hole is the fixed part) moving until have the bolt completely straight (head will be up). Then just have paper towel or so to clean the bolt. I have seen some guys on youtube doing this and it really works, specially on the Mirage that have the oil pan bolt with some angle. I hope that my explanation makes sense Next time you make that let me know if that worked to you
    Makes sense, I bought some valves to eliminate oil spraying all over the place. My next change should be clean and easy


    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •