Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: The Oil Change

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

DIY: The Oil Change

Didn't see one of these, so figured I'd post. First oil change was done by the dealership (free). It was that time again, so I knocked this out today. I am not responsible for any damage to your car caused by following this DIY. Grab some eye protection. I've had oil splash in my eyes before. Not fun

1. Raise the front of the car by either using ramps or a jack stands.
    Name:  20151018_091528.jpg
Views: 8054
Size:  46.5 KB

2. Oil and filter I used.
    Name:  20151018_090443.jpg
Views: 7487
Size:  67.6 KB

3. You need to remove the front lower plastic tray to get better access to the oil filter. I used a flathead screwdriver.
    Name:  20151018_095403.jpg
Views: 7306
Size:  57.6 KB
    Name:  20151018_092458.jpg
Views: 7282
Size:  67.7 KB

4. Picture of the drain plug and oil filter.
    Name:  20151018_092645.jpg
Views: 7292
Size:  48.3 KB
    Name:  20151018_092631.jpg
Views: 7217
Size:  55.2 KB

5. Remove the oil cap on the top of the engine. Drain the oil by removing the drain plug. You'll need a 17mm socket or wrench. Your choice. Be careful since it may be hot. Have something to catch the oil with. When it's done draining, reinstall plug. Remember... snug. No need to get crazy incredible hulk on this as you run the risk of stripping the pan. Or if you'd like, use a torque wrench.
    Name:  20151018_093034.jpg
Views: 7211
Size:  51.9 KB

**I decided to replace the drain plug with a magnetic one.
    Name:  20151018_092910.jpg
Views: 7275
Size:  83.5 KB

**I used this filter removal tool.
    Name:  20151018_092708.jpg
Views: 7255
Size:  58.1 KB

6. Remove the oil filter. Again... be careful since it may be hot. Loosen the filter slowly. Oil will start running down the front of the engine so make sure you have something to catch it with.
    Name:  20151018_093403.jpg
Views: 7267
Size:  61.9 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MemphiS For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (10-19-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    **Had to post again because of the 10 attachment limit**

7. Lube the new filter gasket with some oil.
    Name:  20151018_093900.jpg
Views: 7198
Size:  59.0 KB

8. Now use your kung fu grip and hand tighten new filter. Again. No need to get crazy. Use a torque wrench if you'd like.

9. Reinstall plastic tray.

10. Take car off jack stands.

11. Pour new oil in. 3 quarts. Reinstall oil cap.
    Name:  20151018_101844.jpg
Views: 7047
Size:  70.0 KB

12. Start engine. Check for leaks.

All done. Clean up and dispose of oil properly. If I missed anything, I apologize. Feel free to post and let me know. I'll edit the post.

Edit: I JUST noticed the other oil change thread under tech discussion. I completely missed it. Either way... I'll leave this up to give members other views/pics/suggestions and hopefully info.
    Last edited by MemphiS; 10-18-2015 at 11:57 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MemphiS For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (10-19-2015)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Owners manual says SAE 0-20 oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT View Post
    Owners manual says SAE 0-20 oil.
    Yes, i know. Decided to give it a try. It's not going to hurt anything.

Obviously it's up to the owner to decide what type of oil and filter combo they want to use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually, that notch in the plastic is there for access to the filter. You don't need to remove it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Actually, that notch in the plastic is there for access to the filter. You don't need to remove it.
    It was my first time doing the change on this car so I wanted to take a good look at everything. Takes an extra minute. Didn't bother me to take it off. I can actually get to the filter from the top.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Thanks for posting this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How did you get the car onto the jackstands? Using a hydraulic jack to get to the front jack point of the car (between two front wheels), I realized a VERY long jack would be needed so I just opted for ramps. So my only question is what point of the car did you use for the jackpoint as I see you are using the pinch welds for the jack stands. Did you just go a bit off to the side of the pinch weld?

I do the same thing everytime for my oil changes: I also take off that under, plastic tray. Even though there is a cutoff for access to the filter, it gives MUCH better access to the oil filter. Also, prevents the tray from getting splashed on by oil which would happen once you remove the oil filter.

0W-20, 5W-20, you'll be fine. Same exact thing once you get the oil to operating temp, though I only use 0W-20.

-Charlie-

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've changed my own oil twice now and have yet had to use a filter wrench. But from the years of working with my hands I've got a crazy gripe. I add 2 1/2 quarts of oil and then check it as not all the oil comes out of the engine. Sometimes you need to add another half of a quart and other times you need to only add a quarter of a quart.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry about the late response. Haven't been on in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    How did you get the car onto the jackstands? Using a hydraulic jack to get to the front jack point of the car (between two front wheels), I realized a VERY long jack would be needed so I just opted for ramps. So my only question is what point of the car did you use for the jackpoint as I see you are using the pinch welds for the jack stands. Did you just go a bit off to the side of the pinch weld?

I do the same thing everytime for my oil changes: I also take off that under, plastic tray. Even though there is a cutoff for access to the filter, it gives MUCH better access to the oil filter. Also, prevents the tray from getting splashed on by oil which would happen once you remove the oil filter.

0W-20, 5W-20, you'll be fine. Same exact thing once you get the oil to operating temp, though I only use 0W-20.

-Charlie-
    You're right about the jack. I used a craftsman 4 ton jack and went in from the front. I have the older version (discontinued). It's a perfect fit, at stock height. It's been replaced with a low profile model now. I'll have to look into it when I lower the car this spring.

Yea, the tray is VERY easy to remove. I had a feeling about the splash part.

Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I've changed my own oil twice now and have yet had to use a filter wrench. But from the years of working with my hands I've got a crazy gripe. I add 2 1/2 quarts of oil and then check it as not all the oil comes out of the engine. Sometimes you need to add another half of a quart and other times you need to only add a quarter of a quart.
    Sometimes you need one... Sometimes you don't. Wanted to post it to give an idea of what type to use. I'm sure many have come across a filter that was tightened way to much from the factory. I know I have. I was a mechanic for 8 years, so I have plenty of wrenches laying around

As far as the oil amount... Good point. Probably best to start off that way. Especially people that are looking to take this on for the first time. I followed the manual and added the 3 quarts in one shot. After running it for a minute I checked the level and it was perfect.

Here's another thread on oils in case anyone is interested...
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post13867