Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient than Mirage?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Fuel Efficient than Mirage?

Is this really fuel efficient than a mirage?

http://www.mazda.ph/skyactiv-technology/u-s-epa-report/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the average of ALL the cars sold by Mazda vs. all the cars sold by each other company.

That said, the Mazda2 gets decent fuel economy. The sedan version is sold in the U.S. (in the form of a rebranded Toyota/Scion), and it's rated at 37 MPG US combined for the 6-speed automatic, which is the same combined rating as a 5-speed Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    As Metro says: it is CAFE fleet average. Mazda sells 7 models in US and most of them are at the top of the category the sold in. It also doesn't sell trucks and truck-based SUVs, and no performance cars (Miata doesn't count as performance, sorry) so this is not a surprise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a friend who says her Mazda3 gets over 40 HWY. I have yet to drive it, but I will admit, I am very intrigued by Mazda SkyActiv technology
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I like the idea of the skyactiv engine, long term is another matter. The restarting the engine with the cylinder that has compression is brilliant. I'd still take my Mirage.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with everything said - Skyactiv is intriguing, but not yet proved for long-term durability/reliability in my eyes.

Also of note, even though the Skyactiv puts impressive numbers on the board for ratings, the Fuelly.com real world ratings aren't as good. For example, the Mazda3 is much better than Civic/Corolla per government ratings, but very similar in real-world use. Given the latest news of Volkswagen gaming the system, and previous discussion here on manual v. CVT ratings, I take the official ratings with a grain of salt.

The 2014 Mazda3 actually is epa rated to get 41mpg on the highway, while my 2014 Mirage is rated to get 42mpg on the highway. In reality, though, the Mirage uses considerably less fuel (which stands to reason, as it has half the power, much less weight, better aero . . . ).
    Last edited by Canoehead; 10-25-2015 at 07:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Sky-active tech cost way to much for what it does. If you add it to any of the Mazdas it comes in it adds almost $4,000 to the sticker. It may be more fuel efficient< which i doubt. But it cost way more. Even a Mazda2 cost significantly more that a Mirage.
    There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontee View Post
    The Sky-active tech cost way to much for what it does. If you add it to any of the Mazdas it comes in it adds almost $4,000 to the sticker. It may be more fuel efficient< which i doubt. But it cost way more. Even a Mazda2 cost significantly more that a Mirage.
    Even IF the Mazda 2 delivers slightly better MPG you could never recoup the extra expense of the car. Hands down, total cost per mpg, Mirage is the winner. Green Car Reports ranked vehicles based upon this criteria. Mirage is #1 of course.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...te-10-top-cars
    Last edited by inuvik; 03-10-2016 at 05:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage is awarded the Most Fuel-Efficient non-hybrid vehilce. So that goes to show you that even tho their slightly better its has help with the SkyActive and such.

There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)