Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare your car for winter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

How do you prepare your car for winter?

Name:  winter-791086_640.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  90.0 KB
    Image from pixabay.

For most of us, its starting to cool off and that means taking care of a few things before it gets too cold and uncomfortable to be doing car work.

Here are a few things I do:

1) For me personally I like to get an oil change in before its obnoxiously cold. I do have a garage and I can heat it up, but I just prefer not to. I just did one this past weekend on my wife's car. My car is up next.

2) Check windshield wipers. I actually run winter blades year round as I find they work pretty good. But, I don't like changing them when its 10F outside... So, I grab a set and throw them on before hand when they need to be replaced.

3) Winter tires. These I usually wait until near the first snow fall. If I know they're going to salt the roads, I'll put them on earlier as I don't like cleaning my summer wheels up that much.

4) Throw the window scraper back in the car.

5) Get my block heater setup ready to go. This really is only a 'winter' style extension cord, one that stays flexible in the cold, and a timer that I setup. An alternative to the timer is one of those wireless Christmas light switches. I just push the button on the remote from inside about 1-2 hours before leaving.

So, what do you guys to prepare your cars for winter?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nothing more than a pressure washer cleaning at the end of the season or earlier after a salt event on the roads.
    I use rain-x and clean the wiper blades thoroughly when I wash the car, but I rode a bike 850 miles in January here.

I drain the hose after a car wash, the faucet is inside the garage so it never freezes.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Throw my scraper in the car, fresh rain X, fresh plasti dip the front, plasti dipping the rear tire wells, top off washer fluid with -20 rain x, change oil, remember to order second pair of artic generals for complete set, wd40 the engine compartment, order block heater.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Wear a jacket! Never even freezes here on the balmy Southern Oregon Coast!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    I already have block heater and interior heater installed, still need to change winter tires.
    Friend of mine also wants to wash and wax my car with some good stuff.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Cleartec Invite CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star 1.2 automatic: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heffu For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-27-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Wear a jacket! Never even freezes here on the balmy Southern Oregon Coast!
    Oh shut up.

---

I sometimes buy heavy clear plastic and cover the front carpeting to keep the salt away from it. I tuck the plastic under the trim pieces around the edges, and use short stainless screws twisted into the carpet to tack it down in a few spots.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-27-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    So glad we don't have to content with road salt, but here in Oz, you never buy a car that's been on the coast near an ocean... Salt air will corrode a car faster than anything....

I just keep mine parked in the garage over winter, give it plenty of time to warm up before I drive it... It already has anti freeze in the radiator I think.... We don't get snow here, but I'm close to snow and the mountains, so we get lots of cold winds.... :-(

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I like the way cold winds get the bugs outta my face LG.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (10-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I like the way cold winds get the bugs outta my face LG.

regards
    mech
    Does it ever snows were you are at?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)