Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Front License Plate Bracket

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you and unfortunately it is required here in California. I just covered my plate for the photo,and thanks for the feedback.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuel Squeezer For This Useful Post:

DSMirage (10-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Squeezer View Post
    I'll make others and post for feedback.
    Feel free to sell them openly on the forum & profit.

PS: belated welcome to the community!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

DSMirage (10-30-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a Bracket you can buy that goes into the Tow Hook threads, but does anyone know if all cars have a typical thread measurement? I'm not trying to spend around $30 USD to have a bracket that doesn't fit. I've attached an image.Name:  maxresdefault (9).jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  94.2 KB

But this is an excellent DIY to the same effect. Well done!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Good question. I found an eyebolt in my trunk tool kit, presumably for towing. That should match the threads you are asking about, no?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (04-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good question. I found an eyebolt in my trunk tool kit, presumably for towing. That should match the threads you are asking about, no?
    Yeah I pulled the tow hook out of my trunk as well to try and get some dimensions, but no luck. The license bracket mounts to any one of those concave slits on a mount with 2 bolts. You screw in the rod into the tow hook on the front bumber, and it has a swivel mount so you can angle the bracket depending on how the front fascia of whatever car is shaped. I was just curious if it's a typical thread dimension among all manufacturers. I might buy one just to see if it works and just return it if it doesn't. Or sell it, either way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
    Yeah I pulled the tow hook out of my trunk as well to try and get some dimensions, but no luck. The license bracket mounts to any one of those concave slits on a mount with 2 bolts. You screw in the rod into the tow hook on the front bumber, and it has a swivel mount so you can angle the bracket depending on how the front fascia of whatever car is shaped. I was just curious if it's a typical thread dimension among all manufacturers. I might buy one just to see if it works and just return it if it doesn't. Or sell it, either way.
    I don't think it is a typical dimension. I bought a universal tow hook for my car and it was way too small. Now I need to find out what the actual dimension is and weld something together to make it work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I have not even thought about looking at that. I am going to have to check it out and find something to match it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you use the tow hook....well make sure you have some washers and gorrilla glue. It might not fit 100% correctly and be tilted. The gorrilla glue and washers have worked on my tow hook, but It'll be a pain to take off.

Edit: i am also interested in buying your custom part.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Posting this a couple places, in case it might help someone. I spent alot of time searching and even bought a tow hook plate that did not fit based on bad info.

FYI. I bought a two hook license plate on ebay "For Nissan 370Z GTR Juke Infiniti G37 Front Tow Hook License Plate Mount Bracket" for $15.55, and it fit my 2015 Mirage. The Mirage and 370z are M24 x 3.0 thread size.

I was able to screw into the tow hook all the way until it went in tight. Then I added a lock washer on the screw between the extension piece and the black plate. Everything is tight with no glue or locktight.
    Last edited by Mizzou55; 07-23-2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added info

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Squeezer View Post
    Thank you and unfortunately it is required here in California. I just covered my plate for the photo,and thanks for the feedback.
    Growing up near the border of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, I just assumed a front plate was an optional thing. When I bought my first used car many years ago, I just tossed the front plate in the car. Since Michigan drivers weren't even given front plates, I wrongly assumed it was just an optional thing in Wisconsin. Thankfully, I had the front plate under the seat and a screwdriver when I was pulled over. Let's just say my first front plate was installed under supervision!

I like the front bracket. Sadly, I need the front plate to cover the holes made in my front bumper already. Maybe for my future Mirage???