Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi recommended up shift speeds

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Are all other conditions the same - temperature, road grade (uphill, downhill) wind speed & direction, weight?
    yes, since im driving the same route everyday from home to office, office to home. i dont have other tools to monitor the temp etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Environmental factors aside, it's been pointed out somewhere here that engine efficiency varies with it's speed and loading. I remember it was referred to as 'brake specific fuel consumption.'

Let's see - where did I read about this:
    BSFC for 1.2L or 1.0L engine?

There's a few other threads that discuss fuel consumption.
    Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT
    An interesting observation on fuel economy

Hope that helps!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Forgive me if this is already common knowledge, or even incorrect... This is (essentially) my first manual transmission.

I used to shift around 2000-2250 RPM, and it just felt like it bogged down a bit, but I was trying to get good gas mileage. Lately, I've been shifting right around 3000 RPM, and it feels less bogged down, no jerkiness when shifting (jury is out on whether it was/is bad clutch technique on my part, or the RPMs), and because it doesn't feel bogged down, it feels a bit more "powerful". Like I could accelerate faster if need be, at higher RPMs. In spite of all of this, I haven't noticed any hit in gas mileage.

Does this make sense/sound right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Forgive me if this is already common knowledge, or even incorrect... This is (essentially) my first manual transmission.

I used to shift around 2000-2250 RPM, and it just felt like it bogged down a bit, but I was trying to get good gas mileage. Lately, I've been shifting right around 3000 RPM, and it feels less bogged down, no jerkiness when shifting (jury is out on whether it was/is bad clutch technique on my part, or the RPMs), and because it doesn't feel bogged down, it feels a bit more "powerful". Like I could accelerate faster if need be, at higher RPMs. In spite of all of this, I haven't noticed any hit in gas mileage.

Does this make sense/sound right?
    Yes, with such a small displacement there isn't much torque below 2500 rpm. Gotta spin up some rpm's to get some usable power/torque from the 3a92. Torque peak isn't until 4000 rpm so don't be afraid to make it sing a little.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yes, with such a small displacement there isn't much torque below 2500 rpm. Gotta spin up some rpm's to get some usable power/torque from the 3a92. Torque peak isn't until 4000 rpm so don't be afraid to make it sing a little.
    I had been upshifting at 2500 rpm for my first 2 years of owning this car (I thought this was getting the best fuel economy)

But this week I tried upshifting at 3000rpm and actually I think I am getting even BETTER fuel economy numbers. I know that must sound counter-intuitive but that is the results that I am seeing.

I just hit 15,000 miles on the odometer and just did an oil change and tire rotation. I surprise even myself at how little I drive seems to be about 7000 miles per year that I drive. So the car is going to last me a very long time I will see if I can hang on to this Mirage for 10+ years. I mean even if I buy a second car and hang on to the Mirage since the price I could sell it for USED is such a joke that its not even worth selling (in my opinion) may as well just drive it into the ground or give it away (I may just do that if my business gets more successful..... I mean give the car away like in the movie Pay it Forward)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I mean even if I buy a second car and hang on to the Mirage since the price I could sell it for USED is such a joke that its not even worth selling (in my opinion) may as well just drive it into the ground or give it away (I may just do that if my business gets more successful..... I mean give the car away like in the movie Pay it Forward)
    I'll take it. No need to drive it into the ground.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I had been upshifting at 2500 rpm for my first 2 years of owning this car (I thought this was getting the best fuel economy)

But this week I tried upshifting at 3000rpm and actually I think I am getting even BETTER fuel economy numbers. I know that must sound counter-intuitive but that is the results that I am seeing.
    I have cruised my 5 speed manual Mirage regularly on the freeway in 5th gear at 4000k rpm or more... the car is meant to - look up the owner's manual for the top speeds the Mirage can do in each gear. It's designed to take lots of revving. My dad is well past 70 years old and used to go about 80km/s an hour, 50 miles an hour, in 3rd gear in my Mirage lol

My Mirage regularly gets 5 L/100 km's (50 MPG) gas milage even in the Canadian winter. Unique car, not that fast but goes better not sticking to 2000 rpm
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-07-2018 at 04:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have cruised my 5 speed manual Mirage regularly on the freeway in 5th gear at 4000k rpm or more... the car is meant to - look up the owner's manual for the top speeds the Mirage can do in each gear. It's designed to take lots of revving. My dad is well past 70 years old and used to go about 80km/s an hour, 50 miles an hour, in 3rd gear in my Mirage lol

My Mirage regularly gets 5 L/100 km's (50 MPG) gas milage even in the Canadian winter. Unique car, not that fast but goes better not sticking to 2000 rpm
    Thanks, thats good to know. But I do feel kind of like an idiot to have been upshifting at 2500 rpm for 2YEARS and thinking I was hypermilling. Durp

So now its 3k upshifts for me from now on.......
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-07-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just do it all by ear and don't drive any manual transmission cars by the tachometer on the dash at all. I remember my friend's base model Accent didn't even come with one back in the day, and way back with my old VW Rabbit... a bunch of stuff was broken so that was by ear too

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I just do it all by ear and don't drive any manual transmission cars by the tachometer on the dash at all.
    Same here! I started driving manuals when I was about 10 years old. My grandfather once sent me to town. I hopped in my uncle's old International pickup (one ton model with duel wheels on back) with a 4 speed on the floor, and I drove into town (fire department). This was long before cell phones, and my grandpa's haybine had backfired catching the hayfield on fire. Later that day when the fire was put out, my grandpa asked me if I had my driver's license? It was at that point that I reminded him that I was only 12 years old.

I am in my mid-50's now. To this day, I have never bought or owned a automatic vehicle. I can't say that I have ever looked at a tachometer while shifting. I don't even think about it. I do used a tachometer on a motorcycle, because it's easy to lose count (am I in 5th gear or 6th?). A simple glance at the tachometer, and you know.

I like having a tachometer on a car, but I can't say that I really look at it much. Tachometer or not, it wouldn't change how I shift a manual in the least.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-08-2018)