Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does using Premium gas have any negative effects? (2015 CVT ES)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageES2015 View Post
    I have been under the impression that higher quality gas is better for the vehicle long term. The owner's manual doesn't give a clear answer.

Does anyone know if using higher rated gas will have any positive or negative effects on the car.

Thanks
    Only advantage I can think of is you won"t have to work so hard carrying around that much lighter wallet. $1.479 per gal here.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-24-2016)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    In Germany they recommend Euro 95 which has 5% ethanol or E10 which is 95 and has 10% ethanol .The cost today was €1,22 per litre.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    $0.39 per liter. Wife's car has not moved since Thursday, just got the driveway cleared after 36 hours snow, nonstop. Went to lunch Friday, other wise stuck at home. Out to Dinner tonight, she was stuck at home for her birthday.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    The biggest problem with american cars are the lack of engineering. The only american cars that can adjust to different fuels from factory are those with flex fuel sensors, aka the ecu is able to tell the difference between 89, 91, 93, and e85, and any ratio mix of both.

Not quit true. There are several vehicles(not just American) that can adjust, in a round about way, for octane. You even mentioned how they do it in your post. The knock sensor. All modern vehicles that have a knock sensor monitor engine knock and are in a constant state of adjusting the ignition timing. While most cars made run perfectly fine on 87 octane and see no improvement by running premium fuel, there are exceptions. Take for example the Chevy Colorado. I owned a 2006 version with the 2.8L 4 cylinder. It came from the factory with 10.0:1 compression and was rated to run on 87 octane, which it would. However, when monitoring ignition timing with a Scan Gauge, I saw at times an increase of nearly 20 degrees of ignition timing when running 93 octane fuel over 87 octane fuel. This increase in ignition timing did not come from one tank of fuel as it takes some time for the long term knock tables to adjust in the computer. When running 93 octane, the motor ran smoother, pulled better at low rpms, and it got better fuel economy too(my best tank was 34 mpg).

Just a little useless car info.

I have not connected my Scan Gauge 2 yet to the Mirage to see if there is any difference in ignition timing when running 87 octane or premium, but when and/or if I do I will post up the results.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-10-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    All ECUs should change dependent what octane they are using in Europe including American sourced vehicles are set to operate from 90 to 100 octane they will happily run on 85 octane although not so lively .I had a year 2000 5.7 Camaro that would go from 87 to 100 and you could not tell the difference same for my 2006 5.7 Corvette and Blazer all my vehicles are sourced in Germany but I cannot see them producing different ECUs for different countries may be wrong .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    On a car like the Mirage the ECU most likely has a range of timing adjustment to allow for lower quality fuels since it is marketed in developing countries where fuel quality is an issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Not quit true. There are several vehicles(not just American) that can adjust, in a round about way, for octane. You even mentioned how they do it in your post. The knock sensor. All modern vehicles that have a knock sensor monitor engine knock and are in a constant state of adjusting the ignition timing. While most cars made run perfectly fine on 87 octane and see no improvement by running premium fuel, there are exceptions. Take for example the Chevy Colorado. I owned a 2006 version with the 2.8L 4 cylinder. It came from the factory with 10.0:1 compression and was rated to run on 87 octane, which it would. However, when monitoring ignition timing with a Scan Gauge, I saw at times an increase of nearly 20 degrees of ignition timing when running 93 octane fuel over 87 octane fuel. This increase in ignition timing did not come from one tank of fuel as it takes some time for the long term knock tables to adjust in the computer. When running 93 octane, the motor ran smoother, pulled better at low rpms, and it got better fuel economy too(my best tank was 34 mpg).

Just a little useless car info.

I have not connected my Scan Gauge 2 yet to the Mirage to see if there is any difference in ignition timing when running 87 octane or premium, but when and/or if I do I will post up the results.
    to be fair i meant cars with knock sensors that can't adjust, and there are plenty of new cars that don't self adjust like the 2013 chevy cruise as proven by that crappy candian review on gas i was talking about. they put the car on the dyno with 87 and did a power run, then emptied the tank and put in 93 and nothing changed, no extra power at all. then they did the emissions test where the car was expelling more hydrocarbons aka unbrunt fuel with 93 meaning it pretty much ignored the extra fuel. rather or not that's chevys fault for not letting the car take use of higher octane or not, many cars don't or wont. as you said, your Colorado is one that doesn't follow today's b/s in the car world.

would like to see those results on the mirage, i haven't used up my first tank yet, hell i only lost one square out of the 8 on the dash, and i've already gone about 80 miles, far cry from my sti rofl

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Certainly does not happen in Europe on home grown and foreign cars.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I would be more than happy if anyone with the posibility to dyno test the mirage with and without premium gas to see if there is a difference...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    In Denmark you will have the same as Germany as far as fuel is concerned America is hit and miss when I was there last I had good fuel at LA airport going inland some of the fuel you would have problems if you were an arsonist it was so bad.