Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does using Premium gas have any negative effects? (2015 CVT ES)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya everything is ethanol around here. It's funny that I even saw the gas stations putting up "it's better for the air" kinda crap. It's Iowa so a lot of the corn comes from here. Funny part is according to studies, ethanol mixed gasoline releases more formaldehyde into the atmosphere than non-ethanol gasoline.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
    Ya everything is ethanol around here. It's funny that I even saw the gas stations putting up "it's better for the air" kinda crap. It's Iowa so a lot of the corn comes from here. Funny part is according to studies, ethanol mixed gasoline releases more formaldehyde into the atmosphere than non-ethanol gasoline.
    Where I live you will typically find 3 grades of gasoline, & the premium gas does not contain ethanol. I use premium non-ethanol gas for all of my small engine needs - 3 chainsaws (Poulan, Husqvarna, & Jonsered), older McCulloch gas-powered grass trimmer, old 1985 Honda ATV, 2006 Kawasaki Mule, 1993 John Deere LX176 lawnmower, cheap push mower, Brave log splitter, & Troy-Bilt Bronco tiller.

My Husqvarna chainsaw (was my dad's) & McCulloch weed wacker are from the 1990's. Many small engine repair guys will tell you most chainsaw issues are related to bad gas. Two-stroke engines in particular should use non-ethanol gas with 2-stroke oil added in. I don't buy the premium gas for the higher Octane rating. I buy it, because it doesn't contain ethanol. I started doing this many years ago. I had a cheap Wal-mart push mower that stopped running after one-year. The small engine mechanic showed me how the ethanol curled the rubber parts inside the simple carburetor. I never used ethanol in a small engine after that day, & I have never had that problem again. Anyone that still uses a 2-stroke outboard boat motor will also go out of their way to buy non-ethanol gas. I will not put ethanol in any of my small engines. If someone borrows something from me I give them a can of gas, & I make it very clear why!

I bring this all up, because recently a large gas station chain (Kwik Trip also known as Kwik Star across the border in Iowa) has been offering a 4th grade of gas. It's 88 Octane, & they sell it for 5 cents less than 87 Octance (making it their lowest price gas). What's the catch? It's has 15% ethanol rather than 10%.

So I went back to my Mirage owner's manual - "A mixture of up to 10 % ethanol (grain alco- hol) and 90 % unleaded gasoline may be used in your vehicle, provided the octane number is at least as high as that recommended for unleaded gasoline."

At this point, I've avoided the cheaper 15% ethanol gas for my Mirage. I don't want to jeopardize the bumper-to-bumper warranty in any way. Thus, I would rather play it safe. The 15% ethanol may not increase your mpg either. Thus, the savings may be a wash.

I don't hesitate to use the cheaper 15% ethanol gas in my driver's ed vehicle. Not because I don't own that car, but because it's a flex-fuel vehicle (Chevy Impala) that could even run on E85 gas.

Kwik Trip is claiming it will not damage newer vehicles.

https://www.tmj4.com/news/i-team/new...on-at-the-pump

It's created a stir for some, because people started pumping it in their vehicles without realizing it was a E15 gas. Kwik Trip's Unleaded 89 E10 was replaced by this Unleaded 88 E15 gas, & people didn't look closer at the new sticker label on the pump.

Anyone else finding 15% ethanol gas appearing in your area?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Where I live you will typically find 3 grades of gasoline, & the premium gas does not contain ethanol. I use premium non-ethanol gas for all of my small engine needs - 3 chainsaws (Poulan, Husqvarna, & Jonsered), older McCulloch gas-powered grass trimmer, old 1985 Honda ATV, 2006 Kawasaki Mule, 1993 John Deere LX176 lawnmower, cheap push mower, Brave log splitter, & Troy-Bilt Bronco tiller.

My Husqvarna chainsaw (was my dad's) & McCulloch weed wacker are from the 1990's. Many small engine repair guys will tell you most chainsaw issues are related to bad gas. Two-stroke engines in particular should use non-ethanol gas with 2-stroke oil added in. I don't buy the premium gas for the higher Octane rating. I buy it, because it doesn't contain ethanol. I started doing this many years ago. I had a cheap Wal-mart push mower that stopped running after one-year. The small engine mechanic showed me how the ethanol curled the rubber parts inside the simple carburetor. I never used ethanol in a small engine after that day, & I have never had that problem again. Anyone that still uses a 2-stroke outboard boat motor will also go out of their way to buy non-ethanol gas. I will not put ethanol in any of my small engines. If someone borrows something from me I give them a can of gas, & I make it very clear why!

I bring this all up, because recently a large gas station chain (Kwik Trip also known as Kwik Star across the border in Iowa) has been offering a 4th grade of gas. It's 88 Octane, & they sell it for 5 cents less than 87 Octance (making it their lowest price gas). What's the catch? It's has 15% ethanol rather than 10%.

So I went back to my Mirage owner's manual - "A mixture of up to 10 % ethanol (grain alco- hol) and 90 % unleaded gasoline may be used in your vehicle, provided the octane number is at least as high as that recommended for unleaded gasoline."

At this point, I've avoided the cheaper 15% ethanol gas for my Mirage. I don't want to jeopardize the bumper-to-bumper warranty in any way. Thus, I would rather play it safe. The 15% ethanol may not increase your mpg either. Thus, the savings may be a wash.

I don't hesitate to use the cheaper 15% ethanol gas in my driver's ed vehicle. Not because I don't own that car, but because it's a flex-fuel vehicle (Chevy Impala) that could even run on E85 gas.

It's created a stir for some, because people started pumping it in their vehicles without realizing it was a E15 gas. Kwik Trip's Unleaded 89 E10 was replaced by this Unleaded 88 E15 gas, & people didn't look closer at the new sticker label on the pump.

Interesting.. I wonder if that's what the dealer put in and that's why I saw crap mpg numbers at first.
    Iirc the potential energy of ethanol is less than gas.. I always opt for non Ethanol, just because of the formaldehyde

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Interesting.. I wonder if that's what the dealer put in and that's why I saw crap mpg numbers at first.
    Iirc the potential energy of ethanol is less than gas.. I always opt for non Ethanol, just because of the formaldehyde