Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does using Premium gas have any negative effects? (2015 CVT ES)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Does using Premium gas have any negative effects? (2015 CVT ES)

I have been under the impression that higher quality gas is better for the vehicle long term. The owner's manual doesn't give a clear answer.

Does anyone know if using higher rated gas will have any positive or negative effects on the car.

Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Premium with ethanol? I doubt it. Premium without ethanol? Probably better mileage due to the lack of ethanol, not the increase in octane

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The only difference nowadays between the grades of gas is the octane rating. Octane is used to slow down the speed at which gasoline burns...make it slightly less explosive. Some higher performance motors require a higher octane fuel to perform properly.

Our engines DO NOT. Some have reported higher mpg as a result of using higher octane fuel in other cars, but I have never experienced this myself. Putting premium gas in the Mirage, IMHO, is a waste of money.

However, you can do your car a favor by putting in only quality gas. 'Top tier' it is sometimes called. I avoid supermarket gas, Costco gas (edit: Costco is top tier), etc, because it often does not have the additives and detergents in it that help keep your motor clean.

About the cheapest gas I will put in is Arco (edit: as of 2014, Arco is top tier). But I normally run Chevron or sometimes Texaco gas.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 11-09-2015 at 12:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MirageES2015 (11-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you're looking for better quality gas buy it from TopTier gas stations.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
    https://youtu.be/x366kxmgqEw
    https://youtu.be/x366kxmgqEw

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    here in the philippines, mirage users reported having some engine knock when using 95 octane and below. the solution was using 97 to 100 octane.

i myself had been using 95 and been experiencing knocks lately. will shift to 97 on my next filling to see if that helps. done 36,000km+ on mine

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gunlak For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-11-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    here in the philippines, mirage users reported having some engine knock when using 95 octane and below. the solution was using 97 to 100 octane.

i myself had been using 95 and been experiencing knocks lately. will shift to 97 on my next filling to see if that helps. done 36,000km+ on mine
    Interesting. But, from what I understand, the octane rating is calculated differently overseas?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Interesting. But, from what I understand, the octane rating is calculated differently overseas?
    yeah i read that somewhere too. it goes like what's 88 for you guys, its 91 for us. something like that

thr minimum octane rating here for our mirages is 93

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    yeah i read that somewhere too. it goes like what's 88 for you guys, its 91 for us. something like that

thr minimum octane rating here for our mirages is 93

Minimum here in the States is 87, maximum octane available is generally 92-95 depending on where you live.

The Mirage manual for the US states that the car should be run on a minimum of 87.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes there are benifits to using Premium (higher octane) fuel. Are the benefits worth it to "you", it all depends.

Octane is where the magic happens. More response, better operating conditions, sometimes a little more power and even fuel mileage. Most of the benifits are kind of small so in some cases it's not really worth the extra costs.

If you retune the car on higher octane, the benefits can be pretty awesome. More octane is always better but people who buy cheap cars also only tend to buy cheap fuel.

As an added note... Mitsubishi tunes with at least two fuel/timing tunes on all its cars. You have a high octane map and low octane map. If you never run a decent octane fuel then you will never get to experience the high octane tune on your car.
    Last edited by live4redline; 11-09-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

MirageES2015 (11-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have noticed that the engine 'noise' is different with high octane fuel.

It's 2-3 dollar difference, if that. I figured that kind of money isn't a big deal for me so I just let it go.