Thread: Mitsubishi swaps Mirage sedan name for "Attrage"

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi swaps Mirage sedan name for "Attrage"

(More sedan photos & info here: Mirage sedan "Concept G4" unveiled in Thailand (photos / video) named "Attrage" )

Mitsubishi swaps Mirage for Attrage

Mirage-based sedan to be named Mitsubishi Attrage, with an Australian berth likely

Mitsubishi 2014 Attrage Name game: The Attrage is a combination of the words ‘attractive’ and ‘Mirage’, but it’s unclear whether it will keep that name in Australia.

21 May 2013

By TIM NICHOLSON

MITSUBISHI has confirmed that the long-rumoured Mirage sedan will go into production, but when it launches in Thailand mid-year it will have a new name – the Attrage.

Mitsubishi will produce the Attrage, a combination of the words attractive and Mirage, at its Laem Chabang plant in Thailand alongside the Mirage hatch that went on sale in Australia in January.

The tiny Mirage-based sedan will go on sale in Thailand in July before any other global market, with a likely Australian berth in the first quarter of 2014.
    Link here http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257B72001E93FF

Might have to add one more name to the mirage/spacestar etc clan

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamiec For This Useful Post:

asher (05-22-2013),CLARK (05-21-2013),MetroMPG (05-21-2013)

Here's the full Mitsubishi press release:

Bangkok, May 21, 2013
    Mitsubishi Motors Next-generation Global Compact Sedan to Be Launched in Thailand in July
    Charming next-generation global sedan to be named Attrage
    Bangkok, May 21, 2013 - Mitsubishi Motors Corporation announced that its next-generation global compact sedan, to be named Attrage*1, will be launched in the Thai market this July. The Attrage qualifies for the Thai government's Eco-car Project*2 and will be produced at MMC subsidiary Mitsubishi Motors (Thailand) Co. Ltd.'s third factory at the Laem Chabang Industrial Estate in Chonburi province in Thailand.
    *1: Contrived based on the English attractive
    *2: Qualifications: fuel efficiency based on European calculation methods of at least 5L/100KM (20km/L) , meet EURO4 exhaust gas regulations, invest over THB5 billion into production in Thailand, and produce over 100,000 units per year after the fifth year of production.

Main Features
    The Attrage will bring styling befitting a next-generation global compact sedan, featuring

• a short nose which delivers an outstanding forward field of view
    • superior maneuverability with a class-leading minimum turning radius of 4.8 meters
    • graceful and flowing side proportions which balance aerodynamics and interior space among the most generous in its class
    • sleek aerodynamics, with a dynamic character line which kicks up towards the rear.

The Attrage is expected to achieve a fuel efficiency of 22 km/liter*3, among the best in its class, achieved with a combination of uncompromising weight reduction throughout and

• A lightweight RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) body - the lightest in its class due to the extensive use of high-tensile steel
    • A lightweight and compact 1.2-liter MIVEC engine
    • CVT with sub-geartrain or 5-speed manual
    • Excellent aerodynamics providing a drag coefficient (CD) of 0.29, among the best in its class.

*3: Calculated based on NEDC (New European Driving Cycle)

The Attrage delivers driving pleasure thanks to agility and pleasing driving dynamics stemming from its lighter weight as well as its reassuring handling, stability and comfortable ride. Passenger comfort is enhanced by the high hip point and large door openings which facilitate entry and exit as well as by its generous rear seat leg space.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CLARK (05-21-2013),Daox (05-21-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Weird name. Sounds like they took all the comments on the Mirage being having an outdated style to heart.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Motoring.com.au has an article up about it as well, and the comments are not friendly!

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013...revealed-36717

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I read in some online car enthusiast website that the mirage sedan will not be called "Attrage" over here in the Philippines. The name sounds like "atras", a Filipino term for reverse or backward. Some commenter are joking that the Mitsubishi Attrage will be the partner to Hyundai Avante (commonly known as Elantra) since avante means forward...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to noob@cars For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by noob@cars View Post
    the mirage sedan will not be called "Attrage" over here in the Philippines. The name sounds like "atras", a Filipino term for reverse or backward.
    That is funny

---

FYI brochure details for the sedan (Thai): Mirage sedan - Attrage - brochure (Thailand)

being considered for the U.S. market too

Also, I wrote to the head of PR for Mitsubishi in the U.S., and he just replied:

The Attrage sedan is also in consideration in US market to add an entry level sedan to our showroom lineup. However, exact timing and the nameplate for the US is still being determined and we hope to be able to share this information in the near future when we have a definitive timing of when this car will be available here in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by noob@cars View Post
    I read in some online car enthusiast website that the mirage sedan will not be called "Attrage" over here
    Found the reference:

"We won't use Attrage because it has a negative connotation here," MMPC senior adviser for manufacturing Masaaki Yamada told TopGear.com.ph. "We will call it Mirage G4. 'G' stands for global compact car and '4' stands for four-door sedan."
    Source: http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/car-n...ge-sedan-in-ph

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

noob@cars (06-06-2013)

I hope they call it Mirage G4 here, too. Do not like "Attrage"!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Mirage G4 has a nice ring to it compared to Attrage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)