Thread: Motor Trend Interview with Mitsubishi North America Executive Vice President

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts

Motor Trend Interview with Mitsubishi North America Executive Vice President

Nice article from Motor Trend.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/mitsu...ssover-pickup/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (11-26-2015),Daox (11-24-2015),debburyl (11-29-2015),Gnarles2 (11-24-2015),MetroMPG (11-30-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Chicken Tax! Funny story there.

Would be interesting to see their trucks & vans, especially diesels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand what he is saying about SUV's but I still think that they need to replace the Lancer sooner than later as well. Is there a reason why they do not work with possibly even a Chinese car company to make a new Lancer? A rebadged Qoros 3 would make a great Lancer. They can use a Mitsu powertrain and re-style the front and rear to make it fit with the Mitsubishi brand. At least that would be a fast option. Name:  Qoros-3_Sedan_2014_02.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  51.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

debburyl (11-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    I understand what he is saying about SUV's but I still think that they need to replace the Lancer sooner than later as well.
    It took several years for the Colt to be replaced with this Mirage.

Plus, the money is in Crossovers right now. All things subject to change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All things subject to change.

This is the point - that's how the car execs make, or should I say earn, their pay. These are not easy decisions to make. One thing is for sure - chuck this crap about Mitsubishi leaving the American market. They're here to stay and that's a great thing. Our experience with our 2008 Lancer GTS left a lot ta be desired, however, I am interested in this new 2017 Mirage. I think it's probably too small for us - but, I'd like ta test drive one of them to be sure.

Our Lancer GTS story - I'll try to be brief - one day in late June 2014, we were heading south on Highway 54 to El Paso. It was a typical desert sunny southern New Mexico day. Well, of course we had the A/C blaring, and it was working fine. All of a sudden the A/C quit. Oh oh. Then the car's power decreased, the accelerator pedal dropped down towards the floorboard. Not good. Off the highway I went. It gave me some weird graphic in the information center on the dask - a huge battery turning all different angles-clearly an emergency.

Well, I of course turned off the motor. It actually just died on it's own. I tried once or twice to re-start the engine. No dice. We had about 130,000 miles on our 2008 Lancer GTS and the car had performed like a champ at all times before this. I loved that car. We called a tow truck - he hitched us up and we asked about a good mechanic in El Paso. He took us and our Lancer GTS there and unhooked. We got a motel in town - it was Sunday afternoon. The next day we walked to the mechanic's shop and found out what happened. The serpentine belt just snapped - or the timing chain seized. The serpentine belt had been checked about 2 weeks earlier and it was not needing replacing. All fine. We suspected some kind of foul-up inside the engine - timing chain seizure - that would result in snappage of the serpentine belt, too. Coolant was sprayed inside the engine area here and there.

OK - we said, we'd like another opinion. Oh, he said an engine rebuild would be needed - made sense - timing belt seizure screwed everything up. I figured $3,000 or so. Towed to Viva Kia/Mitsubishi in El Paso to get another opinion. Result? Timing belt seizure. No dice to fixing it easily, affordably or reasonably. Their estimate for putting a rebuilt 2.0L I-4 motor back in for us: $3,400. Right.

We didn't have an extra $3,400 laying around to fix the engine. What should we do? Shop for another car. Long story short - I could not find another Mitsu I wanted - I sat in a 2014 Mirage and it was too small up front for us. Ended up test-driving and loving a 2011 Kia Soul base white 5-speed they wanted $11,995 for. 35,800 miles on the Soul but it was treated well by its original owner. The dealer gave us $2,000 for our '08 Lancer GTS with a shot engine in trade towards the Soul. Off we went. Have enjoyed the Kia Soul 5-speed stick.

Oh, sometime about 4-6 weeks into Soul ownership we get a notice in the mail that our Lancer GTS is getting a recall notice. It is to replace a serpentine belt that has been found to prematurely break on people. So Mitsubishi will replace it under Warranty. What about us? We called the MMNA helpline up and asked. Can Mitsubishi throw us a bone of any worth for the trouble they put us through? The answer? Nope. You didn't call us when you still owned the car. You know - when you were desperate in the dealer with your dead '08 Lancer GTS. Is this standard Mitsubishi policy? It was for us, yes. Not very happy about this situation - the '08 was paid off in May 2013. Nice - 130,000 trouble-free miles. Serpentine belt was not on a service change-out list - we had the car serviced at Sisbarro Mitsubishi in Las Cruces, NM, 2 weeks earlier. Prognosis: no belts needed replacing. And, it didn't have a timing belt, it had a timing chain - no service required. Not happy campers with Mitsubishi. But I loved the '08 Lancer GTS when I had it. Frustrating situation.

Popping back to the present - when I caught a glimpse of this 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage I just thought wow - looks good. Same interior space I hear, so, I may be short-timing it on here, yet. We'll see.
    Last edited by Mitsuman; 11-29-2015 at 04:24 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-30-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Inuvik,,,,,Thanks!!! For that Motor Trend post!!! That was a Nice post for MITSUBISHI They Need More Positive Reports! And that's a Plus For themI think people don't give them enough credit. They are striving to make Wize decisions on thier cars, and improve on the ones they have, Before bringing out a new one, a have it fail.that really hurts a Company. If they continue to Advertise and Refine thier line they are going in the Wright Direction .
    Last edited by debburyl; 11-29-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Inuvik,,,,,Thanks!!! For that Motor Trend post!!! That was a Nice post for MITSUBISHI They Need More Positive Reports! And that's a Plus For themI think people don't give them enough credit. They are striving to make Wize decisions on thier cars, and improve on the ones they have, Before bringing out a new one, a have it fail.that really hurts a Company. If they continue to Advertise and Refine thier line they are going in the Wright Direction .
    To be fair the Wright Brothers made the slowest most unreliable plane ever designed :P