Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate control (COLD air blowing on feet on HOT setting)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Climate control (COLD air blowing on feet on HOT setting)

Hello there,

It seems like my climat control is not doing what it should, Mirage anniversary edition 1.2.

When I set the temperature at the highest and select to blow air to the feet it's not getting warm, when I select the mode face/feet the air blowing out is much warmer!

Now I can't use the automatic position because then the air will be blown to the feet.

Can somebody help me out with this?

Thanx in advance!

Sounds like a technical problem. Time for a visit to the dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Did you ever get this fixed PeterT?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Did you ever get this fixed PeterT?
    No, not yet. I finally know what is causing it: a defect interior heater.

I'm over 100k so no warranty....

Can anyone help me where it's located (picture?)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I think it's located behind the glove box, but i have to search a little for that

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-Pollen-Filter

This should help you
    Last edited by uheym; 03-30-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    The dealer told me that repair would take like 6 hours, they have to remove the entire dash.

Could it be as simple as behind the glovebox?

Thanks
    Make sure the cabin air filter is clean. Very simple process to drop the glove box and pull the filter.
    After that try recirculate position which should give you more heat.

Let us know the results.

Did the dealer tell you what they were doing 6 hours labor to repair-replace?

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help sofar!

I removed the filter, it was a little dirty but not much. Without the filter I get the same result, only cold air.

The dealer told me to replace the heater they had to remove the entire dash.

Are you sure the heater is behind the glovebox, so it would be the black unit underneath the airfilter? If so then it should be an easy fix.

Thanks
    From the location of the lines going to the heater core (center) and the air condition lines which go through the firewall behind the glove box, the heater core is behind the dash itself, not behind the glove box where the ac condenser seems to be.

You can't get hot air to the floor ONLY? However you CAN get hot air to the floor when you direct it to the floor and defroster?

That could be the control unit or an actuator, based on my understanding of your symptoms.

Floor ONLY no hot air?
    Floor with other outlets combined, center vents, or defroster and you get hot air out of the floor?

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If by heater they mean the heater core, (a mini radiator) I only know of 3 ways it can fail.

The most common is that it leaks! Leaking coolant,into the A/C case where it resides will cause the windows to fog up on the inside,
    it will usually run out of the A/C case into the passenger compartment until the system is low enough on coolant that there is no hot coolant circulating in the heater core to give you heat.

On the one mirage I saw this happen,the coolant ran down the A/C case on the passenger side and was dripping onto the pass.front floor board.

Yes the dash had to come out to remove the entire A/C case then take the A/C case apart to get the heater core out!

The second way it can fail is that it gets clogged with debris in the cooling system clogging the little passages in the heater core preventing circulation thus rendering it useless to pass on it's heat to the air that is being blown accross it.
    This could be checked by perhaps touching the heater hoses and see if it is as hot as the radiator hoses with the engine running at operating temperature! If they are not hot,there is no circulation.
    If this was the case,the heater hoses could be removed under the hood and the heater core could be BACKFLUSHED against it's normal circulation to blow the offending particles of debris out where they entered.

The third way of heater core failure could be that the fins are clogged from lint dust,whatever debris blocking AIRFLOW across it's surface thus preventing it from passing on it's heat to the airflow even if there is good hot coolant circulating inside! (this is only likely on older cars with a lot of dirty air blown through the system!)

Without being there diagnosing the car it is hard to tell from the description but like oldmechanic said it could have a temperature actuator issue that is stuck half way between cold and hot or only moves sofar in the hot direction but not all the way or the temp door in the A/C case is stuck and the shaft is stripped where the actuator is trying to turn it,or the actuator itself is stripped where it would be turning the themp door, the list goes on!

Also I'm not sure what has to be removed to access the temp actuator if that turned out to be the issue!

By the way how is your coolant level??? In the reservoir AND in the radiator? That would be the first thing I would check.

Either way it is not really a DIY job so I would just let the dealer fix it unless you are an experienced mechanic!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)