Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 3A92 engine with roller cam.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If we are all about speculation here, then I would guess that the method that would produce the most improvement would be ECU tuning, not changing cam profile. Again, the cam profile is already managed with MIVEC.
    From what I recall reading the torque peak stayed the same 74 at 4,000RPM, so gain came at higher RPMs. This could be due to higher lift, better intake or less restrictive exhaust in addition to lesser cam losses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    What I meant is to transplant powerplant from totaled Lancer to Mirage. Assuming 300lbs gain it will be still a light car.
    Thing is that's too much extra weight up front on a car thatès already 61% front heavy (I had the car corner balanced) and room constraints will require a lot of unibody modifications (refer to the 4G63T swap thread - most any 4 cylinder will require the same clearancing). The 3 cylinder isn't bad. It just needs an aftermarket. #RivalAutosport.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    From what I recall reading the torque peak stayed the same 74 at 4,000RPM, so gain came at higher RPMs. This could be due to higher lift, better intake or less restrictive exhaust in addition to lesser cam losses.
    Does the press release discuss torque? I thought it only mentioned horsepower.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalliArt_Mirage View Post
    Thing is that's too much extra weight up front on a car thatès already 61% front heavy (I had the car corner balanced) and room constraints will require a lot of unibody modifications (refer to the 4G63T swap thread - most any 4 cylinder will require the same clearancing). The 3 cylinder isn't bad. It just needs an aftermarket. #RivalAutosport.
    Or do Hayabusa or zx-14 engine swap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-13-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Or do Hayabusa or zx-14 engine swap.
    I don't think you have any idea of what such a swap entails.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think you have any idea of what such a swap entails.
    http://www.smartzuki.com/page.php?pid=2

I think we are really getting off topic here.. but I was toying with idea. Not seriously though.
    http://www.sinistersandsports.com/smartcar.html

There are several rally cars running EVO awd underprintings using 4B11T. But they don't have to worry about car bring street legal. Not sure how much 3A92 weights but 4B11T is 260lbs, so weight gain is 100-160lbs?
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 12-13-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    http://www.smartzuki.com/page.php?pid=2

I think we are really getting off topic here.. but I was toying with idea. Not seriously though.
    http://www.sinistersandsports.com/smartcar.html

There are several rally cars running EVO awd underprintings using 4B11T. But they don't have to worry about car bring street legal. Not sure how much 3A92 weights but 4B11T is 260lbs, so weight gain is 100-160lbs?
    Well that's all fine and dandy when it's put like that....for a ForTwo. There is still a lot in the way of custom fabbing like getting the tranny to mount up to CV shafts, the VERY intricate and involved setup of a FWD suspension/chassis/motor arrangement and the copious amounts of money involved, all to end up with a car that is most likely neither street nor competition legal. Plus, anything figured out now for the Mirage with it's original powerplant will pay dividends to the community with all types of budgets.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well that's all fine and dandy when it's put like that....for a ForTwo. There is still a lot in the way of custom fabbing like getting the tranny to mount up to CV shafts, the VERY intricate and involved setup of a FWD suspension/chassis/motor arrangement and the copious amounts of money involved, all to end up with a car that is most likely neither street nor competition legal. Plus, anything figured out now for the Mirage with it's original powerplant will pay dividends to the community with all types of budgets.
    Agree with you it is not worth it. 4B11 transplant would be more economical. Just checked local listings and used 2008 Lancer with 5MT and 84,000mi was listed for $5,200. This from dealer could probably find one cheaper off craigslist. All the parts you'd need and the rest to be sold on fleeBay to recover costs.

Haven't looked but 4B11 should be easier to fit than 4G63, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would think that the 4B11 would be a simpler fit since the exhaust and intake manifolds face the same direction.. now the amount of fab work and cutting could be the same, but no one will know until someone tries it.. there is a thread on this forum that showed a Thailand car magazine and a mirage with a 4G15T in it.. pretty cool swap in my opinion

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Agree with you it is not worth it. 4B11 transplant would be more economical. Just checked local listings and used 2008 Lancer with 5MT and 84,000mi was listed for $5,200. This from dealer could probably find one cheaper off craigslist. All the parts you'd need and the rest to be sold on fleeBay to recover costs.

Haven't looked but 4B11 should be easier to fit than 4G63, right?
    I would still maintain the same difficulty for one main reason: the size of the powertrain. The motor might look like it'll fit from the top, but the tranny is what mandates the the engine bay be widened so the powertrain will fit. the width of the 4B11 is barely any shorter than the 4G63. The 4G15 is a much smaller motor (I've owned a 96 Mirage so I know how small it is). Plus the only concern I would have with a 4G63 swap other than the engine room is the ground clearance for the exhaust under the engine and maybe the intake manifold from the firewall but the motor can be rotated slightly forward or shifted. But that is all.