Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED headlights woo (found LED bulb that works well in Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

LED headlights woo (found LED bulb that works well in Mirage)

So we picked LED headlight replacement bulbs. They put out way more light than stock bulbs, problem is the filament location. In OEM position low beam is higher and will blind incoming traffic. When you adjust it down properly high is a joke. There's simply not enough separation to make both work bummer.

This is partsam bulb btw. Anyone tried and bulbs which work well in our housing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So we finally found the LED bulb which works well in Mirage headlights.

Here is the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016D84WYW $53 with free prime shipping.

Unlike the others we tired the filament for low and high is in the right location, no need to adjust lights, just put it in. The only catch is it is one piece design (no separate ballast) so to put it in you have to separate the black base, install the base. lock it in with spring, then put the LED bulb and twist it in the base. If you don't twist it in all the way then the beam will be not correct.

Out of what we tried they are not the highest output, only 3000lm, still x2 more light than stocks, and if they loose they maybe 15% less than the best.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

jbarr (12-02-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Let us know if these have a cooling fan. I didn't see one listed in the product description.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They do and beam coverage is very even

We will see how they're holding up and then add to recommend list

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    So we finally found the LED bulb which works well in Mirage headlights.

Here is the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016D84WYW $53 with free prime shipping.

Unlike the others we tired the filament for low and high is in the right location, no need to adjust lights, just put it in. The only catch is it is one piece design (no separate ballast) so to put it in you have to separate the black base, install the base. lock it in with spring, then put the LED bulb and twist it in the base. If you don't twist it in all the way then the beam will be not correct.

Out of what we tried they are not the highest output, only 3000lm, still x2 more light than stocks, and if they loose they maybe 15% less than the best.
    .. seems I found the right LED for my needs. I'm eyeing the following model >>

Name:  80W H4 beam (mf).jpg
Views: 4572
Size:  21.3 KB

and this one
    Name:  H4 Headlight 3.jpg
Views: 4411
Size:  41.5 KB

Both have 360 degree coverage not unlike the others which have limited beam angle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    .. seems I found the right LED for my needs. I'm eyeing the following model >>

Name:  80W H4 beam (mf).jpg
Size:  21.3 KB

and this one
    Name:  H4 Headlight 3.jpg
Views: 4411
Size:  41.5 KB

Both have 360 degree coverage not unlike the others which have limited beam angle.
    I found that the double sided bulbs with low and high on different sides Had issue with filament location. The one I listed above works very good coverage even if it is listed as 280deg. It doesn't mean others won't but our success rate was 1 out of 3. Luckily we bought them on Prime with free shipping and return. Just make sure whatever you get you can return if it doesn't work good luck.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i wonder how effective those with fans vs heatsinks. and also their longevity and reliabilty compared to standard halogen bulbs.

imo the led technology is catching up but we're not "there" yet. maybe in a decade itll be standard

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Maybe ...

which car manufacturers are using as of now?

Car makers focus on LED headlights

Audi is already using them in their A8, A6 and A3 models. The LED headlamps are provided by Hella.

The Mercedes-Benz CLS has glare-free LED headlamps.

__________________________________________________ __

Detroit Auto Show 2014: LED Headlights Coming Of Age; Check Out Photos Of Latest In Head Lamp Technology, Including BMW i8 Laser Lights

...The latest technology just now coming to market at BMW are laser lights

Lexus LED technology brightens the road ahead.

- 2010 article

With LED Lights, Automakers Reveal All the Road We Cannot See

AUTOMOTIVE lighting is undergoing a quiet revolution, leading to new vehicle designs and providing enhanced nighttime safety. But while many of the innovations have become common in Europe and Asia, they have been slower to arrive in the United States.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    i wonder how effective those with fans vs heatsinks. and also their longevity and reliabilty compared to standard halogen bulbs.

imo the led technology is catching up but we're not "there" yet. maybe in a decade itll be standard
    well the LEDs themselves are rated at 50,000 hours, which is with average speed of 35mph = 1.75 million miles. I would suspect the fans would go before that, they must be rated for ~2-5 years. The heat sink only don't have fans to fail but how good are they if you stuck in traffic in Phoenix or Yuma with 120F (49C) temps outside?

I had looked into LEDs about 3 years ago, and at that point of time they were mostly for fog lights. It was more about being seen than seeing, so HIDs were better choice back then. But now they are viable alternative. For example a pair of "high performance" halogens (Sylvania Silverstar) is ~$50 at Walmart, and we paid about the same for LEDs. They will certainly last longer, in my experience Silverstars don't last more than a few month.

HIDs are still cheaper, you can get no-name kit from eBay or Amazon for <$30, but all bets off on how long they gonna last, especially if you are not getting full 12v at the ballast.

Mirage needs double filament bulbs, so finding HID kit which works well in headlight assembly will be likely as hard as finding good working LED kit. If car has projectors then it is much easier to find HID kit. And there are no true yellow LED (there are kits with yellow filters), so they probably still the choice for fog lights if you like me must have yellow fogs.

So the technology is already there, we just need a couple years to weed out bad designs and bring prices into $30-50 range, as there are still many kits selling for $100+.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 12-11-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I am satisfied with the brightness of the double sided H4 LED I have bought before. The Low beam is ok. The only thing I don't like is the beam pattern of the high beam.

So, I studied the assembly of the H4 halogen bulb to see how it is constructed.

Name:  H4 Halogen.jpg
Views: 5504
Size:  36.4 KB

I have observed that the Low beam has a shutter, so no problem for the LED H4. However, the H4 filament for the High beam has a cylindrical shape giving that 360-degree (somewhat conical) beam that is not possible in my H4 Led because the LED chip lies in a flat surface.

Name:  H4Lowbeam.jpg
Views: 4497
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  H4Highbeam.jpg
Size:  18.0 KB

So then, in my opinion, no LED cannot emit light beyond the 180-degree horizontal plane. So, I am considering the LED bulb with the curved LED housing that serves as reflector to extend the beam angle. I'll give update once I have it installed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-12-2015)