Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uber Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Pay me 50 cents a mile, I'm driving 60 mph, so that's $30 an hour. You DONT pay taxes on that.

If gas is 3.3 cents per mile, I spent $1.98 in gas, so now I'm down to $28.02 per hour. Still no taxes.

If you're paying me above that rate, at $9 an hour, I'm in.

But I doubt that is the case. Quibble about the true cost of driving that distance if you wish, but that is not the point when you are deducting based on miles traveled.

50 cents a mile and 9 and hour sounds great, but the 50 cents first, tax free.

regards
    mech
    I make $0.33 per mile, so if I drive 100 miles I get paid $33.00 to burn about $5.00 worth of gas (assuming 48-ish mpg). With my old car, a Geo Metro, I was paid about $0.21 per mile. I would burn roughly the same amount of gas, but only get $21. The Metro, of course, had no payment.

The $12.00 daily difference in mileage ($33.00-$21.00) multiplied by the 20 days per month I work makes the payment on the car. This is the reason I bought the Mirage...I essentially wasn't going to have to pay for it. My employer was going to pay me EXTRA to drive it.

When this car has about 47,000 miles on it (probably mid-2016), I will have been compensated the full cost of the car...with interest (47,000 x 0.33), but minus fuel.

Everything else they pay me after that, and until the car quits, will be gravy. Mileage compensation declines with the age and value of the car, so eventually...say ten years or so...I will be back to getting $0.21 per mile. But that's a LOOOONG time.

When that happens, it will be time for a 2025 Mirage and I can start all over again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought UBER isn't tax free? I thought you'd get a tax form and will have to declare it during tax season?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I thought UBER isn't tax free? I thought you'd get a tax form and will have to declare it during tax season?
    just report it as a hobby and slam all your car toy expenses on top to counter any residual income.

Seriously Uber gets $1/mi + $0.20/min, and takes 30% slice, so you get ~$1, and IRS gives you $.50/mi credit as I recall. It has been long time since I've looked at this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    At 50 cents a mile depreciation, does uber earn you $9 an hour after that cost deduction. That deduction is a buck every two miles.

If so then 9 an hour is great. If not then you're trading much higher levels of wear and tear for barely more than minimum wage.

regards
    mech
    This is my concern as well.

I've read up a bit on Uber, and most of the drivers working for them report earning less than $200 a week.

It's actually rare to see anyone earning above $600. You would be considered in the 95th percentile if you earn $800 a week after taxes, gas, oil, etc...

The biggest reason I'd never do Uber: The company is a major bully. They bully reporters by dragging out there personal lives in order to discredit them. That's a very low move. I'm not much a fan of reporters, but a company that does the same crap gets no respect from me.

Uber also has a reputation for stealing tips. If anyone's interested, there's over 30 class action lawsuits against Uber and a total of 173 lawsuits against the company right now in the states. See for yourself. (Link is to Business Insider Report, NOT an advertisement).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, uber is a very good part time job or if your bored haha.P
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    The biggest reason I'd never do Uber: The company is a major bully. They bully reporters by dragging out there personal lives in order to discredit them. That's a very low move. I'm not much a fan of reporters, but a company...
    Is it based on Sarah Lacy story? http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/ube...sts#.woLMVPggM

Not to defend Uber but do you think they're all alone? There are many companies who are doing this nowdays. For example ExxonMobil http://motherboard.vice.com/read/exx...-investigation

Not disagreeing with you, just wanted to point out this is more common
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 12-11-2015 at 09:05 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    The

Is it based on Sarah Lacy story? http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/ube...sts#.woLMVPggM

Not to defend Uber but do you think they're all alone? There are many companies who are doing this nowdays. For example ExxonMobil http://motherboard.vice.com/read/exx...-investigation

Not disagreeing with you, just wanted to point out this is more common
    Many companies do this, and I try my best to avoid as many of them as I can.

Uber is such a strange company to do something of this sort though. But who knows anymore?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been driving Uber for 6 months in my mirage. You shouldn't have quit your day job for this.

Some weeks are good and some suck. I've made as much as $900 in a week and as little as $10. It really depends a lot on special events and surge in your area.

And just wait until your area gets hit with a rate cut. It's happened in many markets.

I used to get $1.35 a mile in new orleans. Now it's 90 cents a mile.

Fortunately I do most of my driving I'm Baton Rouge and we haven't seen a rate cut yet.

Let me know if you keep driving after you get your first vomit. I've had two.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Varies a bit with the weather. But I am almost always between 45 and 51. Closer to the former in the winter and to the latter in the summer with the change in temperature, fuel composition, and electrical load.

The company I work for has a pretty large delivery area, so much of the driving is 'suburban'...cruising at 40ish mph. It's not the bumper-to-bumper urban slog that most people think of when someone mentions 'delivery driving'.
    Jesus. I deliver in a college town with short blocks and brick streets. I average 29, which is better than everybody else except the guy with the Prius.
    I find that on extremely busy days when I drive the $#!* out of it, the oil gets a bit hot and the car acts as if it has low oil pressure. I tried to solve this with 5w30, but this was counterproductive, as I now have noticeable hesitation at low RPM. I'll just try to find honest specs on 0w20 oil on the internet somewhere and put the best brand I can get in next time.
    My seatbelt latch is borked. I have to thumb it down when buckling it to get it to engage. I have about 25k on the odometer, and nearly all those miles are delivery miles, so you can assume something like 10,000 actuations of the seatbelt.
    My transmission is less than perfect, too. The clutch still seems brand new, but the moving parts are rough and clunky, like an old VW.
    My blower motor has a small squeak, especially in the cold.
    My paint scratches if you look at it funny.
    And I can't keep the front wheels on the road in the snow. I think I'm going to upgrade some suspension parts.
    Otherwise, the car is in great shape. Power windows, magic key locks, and radio controls still work perfectly. Those things wear out quickly when you deliver. I've only replaced my parking lights, everything else is still factory bulbs.
    My only real complaints about this car for delivery are the floaty suspension, and the fact that with the magic key you can't lock your doors with the engine running.