Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Mirage Specific - rust/corrosion prevention?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Not Mirage Specific - rust/corrosion prevention?

I think MetroMPG mentioned in a previous post that most of the metro/firefly/swift's are off the road not because of mechanical issues, but from corrosion. We use sand and salt on our roads in winter, and when it is -20C, I don't like to wash a car much as inevitably water gets somewhere it shouldn't and freezes.

Any ideas on the best way to prevent rust from destroying both the body and other parts? I've heard rust-check is effective, and some people use ziebart. Toyota uses some sort of electrical wizardry I don't quite understand. Maybe having the rocker panels coated with a spray-on bed liner? If I buy a new car I really want it to last as long as possible, so any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Canoehead; 06-25-2013 at 04:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't think I would use a coating until I spotted rust. myself I would smear paste wax on the parts you're worried about(dont wipe or buff it off) and pressure wash the undercarriage alot. Ice on the car is alot better than salt. also if there are any spots where water pools up and doesn't drain away, I would look at correcting that.
    Last edited by kalifornia; 06-25-2013 at 05:12 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kalifornia For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-25-2013)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not a Nissan or a vehical made in the 1990's, corrosion is not a real big issue like it was with the old standards of car production.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

5. The Following User Says Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-25-2013)

Unfortunately, we won't know that for sure until about 6-8 years after a new model has been on the roads in the rust belt areas. And by then it may be too late! Car designers can and do inadvertently build moisture and debris "traps" in the bodywork, and if they're in critical areas and salt can get at them, the car goes to the junk yard before its time.

I'd invest in a bi-annual rust inhibitor spray, maybe starting once the car is 3-4 years old. Something like Krown or Ziebart, that goes inside all the panels (drilling access holes required) and underbody, and uses a fluid with a low enough viscosity that "creeps" into the nooks & crannies long after the initial spray.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-25-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    one of the members posted pics of his car on a lift, and the underbody has alot of holes for whatever reason. I would seal those up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Those might be to let water drain out. I wouldn't plug them unless I was absolutely sure.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    under body rust protection?

over here we call it - taring - but have no cleu how you call it in englisch

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    In Asia it's sold under brand name of Ziebart. It's basically tar coating. However Space Star or Mirage has 10 years body warranty. Although as for Mitsubishi their design flaw lies at the rear wheel part. If you feel it with your hand you will notice the body is bent to the inside but not going up leaving about 0,5 cm metal so dirt and salt can pile up there. That is the place where my Galant got corroded, no other place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mitsubishi body & paint warranty only covers manufacturer's defects. If they deem that your corrosion/rust was caused by salt or something else, It is not covered under their warranty. I bought their rust/corrosion protection package, which includes coatings over the paint, sprays inside the body panels, interior stain protection and an underbody rustproofing. I don't know how well it will work, but I want this car to last 20 years or more without getting rust holes in it so I'm giving it a try.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

I consider designs that trap dirt, salt & moisture to be manufacturer "defects".

I'm sure the Mitsu application you got will help, but if it were my car, I'd still look into getting a semi-annual spray. Probably don't need to start doing that for a while though. You can easily keep an eye on it yourself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)