Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cruising Speed "Sweet Spot"? (for best fuel economy / MPG)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you don't have a scangauge, you can usually feel when DFCO stops. You'll feel the braking / slowing down, and suddenly you'll feel yourself not slowing down quite as much.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I have a scangauge, but the explanation makes sense so I can find out when mine does the same.. but I think it will do I by the same Rpms ..

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    To check DFCO engagement just leave it in 3rd gear, you will feel the fuel come back on around 1200 rpm.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Is it just me, or have others noticed that using air conditioning in hot weather can increase fuel consumption by around 25%?

25% is on the high side. See this topic:

Thread: Air Conditioner Effect on MPG

Especially make sure you see post #28 where Yttrium ran a comparison test while cruising at highway speeds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    To check DFCO engagement just leave it in 3rd gear, you will feel the fuel come back on around 1200 rpm.

regards
    mech
    Apples to Oranges here as it's a different car, but I could never tell when the Focus would do DFCO until after I installed a polyurethane dogbone mount. Now I can absolutely feel the fuel come back on during deceleration.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    25% is on the high side. See this topic:

Thread: Air Conditioner Effect on MPG

Especially make sure you see post #28 where Yttrium ran a comparison test while cruising at highway speeds.
    Interesting thread. I haven't done a proper comparison, I just noticed that with the whole family in the car and the air conditioning and fan running at maximum on a hot day the readout tells me I'm getting around 7 L/100km, and I'm comparing that to driving by myself without the air conditioning on at all. I will do a proper comparison when I get the chance.

The fuel economy is getting better, filled up last night and calculated my fuel economy at 5.6 L/100km. Down from 5.9 on my last tank, and if anything I've been driving the car a little harder.