Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inept Jump Start (possible damage?)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you revved the engine while trying to crank the other car, it's like trying to charge a dead short. It may be that they have added some protection from "accidental jumping damage potential" that I am not aware of but based on what you have posted I think you are ok. The charge warning light "should" tell you of any charging system problem.

Everyone be very careful jump starting anything. Older Fords were actually positive grounds, but they are all 6 volt. I have seen a battery drained until dead then charged with reversed polarity until it was a positive ground system and it was supposed to be negative ground. Ignorance has no limits, nor do the consequences have limits either.

Not meant as a slam or attempt to besmirch anyone, just know what you are doing with electricity before jumping in there. 76 924 Porsche.

Label on the radiator support.

Disconnecting spark plug wires while the engine is running can be FATAL.

We used to check for spark that way.

Nuff said

mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Charlie (12-18-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    If you revved the engine while trying to crank the other car, it's like trying to charge a dead short. It may be that they have added some protection from "accidental jumping damage potential" that I am not aware of but based on what you have posted I think you are ok. The charge warning light "should" tell you of any charging system problem.

Everyone be very careful jump starting anything. Older Fords were actually positive grounds, but they are all 6 volt. I have seen a battery drained until dead then charged with reversed polarity until it was a positive ground system and it was supposed to be negative ground. Ignorance has no limits, nor do the consequences have limits either.

Not meant as a slam or attempt to besmirch anyone, just know what you are doing with electricity before jumping in there. 76 924 Porsche.

Label on the radiator support.

Disconnecting spark plug wires while the engine is running can be FATAL.

We used to check for spark that way.

Nuff said

mech
    Well, engine was on, BUT I did not rev the engine at all.

Man..kinda' angry. I just assumed since he had the jumper cables that naturally he'd know how to actually use them properly..sigh

Thanks 'old mechanic' for all the useful info!

-Charlie-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

deleted user (12-18-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    There is a chance he did know how to use them correctly, just he has electrical problems.

Lead acid batteries have lead plates that deteriorate over time - that's why they don't last forever. Lead precipitates off the plates and collects at the bottom of the individual cells to the point where they short out. The more cells short out, the less capacity available, the more current it draws while charging, the more sparks generated when connecting.

BUT I wasn't there, so it's all speculation.

Hey man, good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There is a chance he did know how to use them correctly, just he has electrical problems.

Lead acid batteries have lead plates that deteriorate over time - that's why they don't last forever. Lead precipitates off the plates and collects at the bottom of the individual cells to the point where they short out. The more cells short out, the less capacity available, the more current it draws while charging, the more sparks generated when connecting.

BUT I wasn't there, so it's all speculation.

Hey man, good luck.
    Negative, he had both clamps already connected to his dead battery when he started hooking up to mine. Additionally, he casually started fidgeting clamp on my negative post with engine on. Light show ensued, did not seem to care.

Anyways, thanks for the helpful info as well Eggman!

The only good that came from this is it forced me to become more knowledgable about the battery and proper jump start procedures.

-Charlie-

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Well, engine was on, BUT I did not rev the engine at all.

Man..kinda' angry. I just assumed since he had the jumper cables that naturally he'd know how to actually use them properly..sigh

Thanks 'old mechanic' for all the useful info!

-Charlie-
    I appreciate you taking the advice to heart without it getting heated and personal. You never know but if it saved you one costly experience then it was time well spent as well as anyone else.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Hey Charlie, how's your Mirage running these days? Have you noticed any changes since this happened?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Inuvik,
    . . . . Take it from a pro that is the wrong way to do it. First connection is red to the positive of the either the booster car or the dead car. The other red to the other positive. Black to the negative of the booster car. The other black goes to a ground point point on the frame or the body of the dead car. Do Not, I repeat, Do Not connect the other black to the negative terminal of the dead car. You could detonate the battery in the dead car. Always make sure the booster car is running before you connect the cables.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Charlie dont surf.