Thread: Will the Mirage make it through the Rocky Mountains?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Will the Mirage make it through the Rocky Mountains?

I am planning to move west in March, and am wondering if the Mirage has enough power to get through the Rockies given the diminishing effect elevation has on horsepower.

I will be carrying some additional weight (not sure how much, but guessing 300 lbs or so, plus myself at 220 lbs)

Sure it will.

I moved to the west coast and back using an '89 Accord that had almost the same power to weight ratio as the Mirage. I didn't think twice about it.

There will be grades where you'll have to downshift if you're driving manual, of course.

Ps... welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

gburke1 (12-22-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gburke1 View Post
    I am planning to move west in March, and am wondering if the Mirage has enough power to get through the Rockies given the diminishing effect elevation has on horsepower.

I will be carrying some additional weight (not sure how much, but guessing 300 lbs or so, plus myself at 220 lbs)
    No problem! Here's somebody that did it with a whole bunch more weight.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...t-in-my-Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

gburke1 (12-22-2015),MetroMPG (12-22-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! That was quick. I did notice in the thread posted above he did not go through Colorado. I would be taking i-70, which means I would have to go through the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,158 ft ... the highest point in the entire interstate system!)

According to the following formula I would be working with 49.23 HP at this point!

HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, definitely. I had an overloaded 1996 Ford Aspire make a move from Oregon to Ohio. It had 10 fewer horses and 80 more lbs than the Mirage, and I had that poor thing packed to the hilt. Didn't miss a beat, except for the rear shocks blowing out somewhere along the Midwest.

Name:  IMG_3118.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  91.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-23-2015)

Love the air dam!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gburke1 View Post

Which way are you going?

There's nothing really steep in Rockies at least if you stay on main highways. With respect to the power loss it is a thing of the past when cars and bikes were carbureted. At 10,000' you are loosing 16% of oxygen, which if you consider how often you need to get above 80% while driving? With carbureted you are changing mixture and loosing alot more power, but with EFI altitude is not an issue. I would recommend cleaning radiator and adding Redline water wetter just to help cooling system on extended climbs, otherwise should not need anything.

When are you moving? Which route? If you have time it is a great opportunity to see many things. If you are going before June you might be required to carry chains in some places.

Rockies are fine they don't have steep climbs, Sierra Nevada and Cascades have some really steep climbs. But there were maybe 2-3 climbs we had issues in loaded Prius with 4 people on board. Prius engine is rated at 98hp, and after battery gets depleted that is all you have to push 4,000lbs up 11% grade.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Drove all through b.c. and the rockies with my mirage loaded to the hilt with camping stuff and my wife. No issues ever.

If really required drop a gear and off you go.