Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L Mirage exhaust header by SuperCircuit

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    There are two catalytic converters in the Mirage, so installation of headers would eliminate the primary CAT. Emission test would be affected, but by how much?

Attachment 4782

It can be noted also that there is no flex pipe in the exhaust system. There are only two sets of spring bolts that gives some flex when the engine vibrates. The first set is between the exhaust manifold and the second set is between the two converters.
    As someone living in area with mandatory tests they amount to checking engine light, gas cap test, visual inspection for exhaust leaks and obd2 code read. Not sure about California they have stricter rules. As I've heard you can only use oem converter, the one car was certified with. Now to what extend it is enforced do not know, it probably depends on location. From what I've seen they are not very competent to say the least. Had car fail inspection for faulty starter code.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    So there are two members here who think the manufacturer would go to the expense of installing an "extra and unnecessary" converter as well as another member who is a legal authority on US EPA actions and enforcement, who coincidentally does not live in the USA.

Good luck ordering hard emission control components from a country half way across the planet. My experience has been 100% fail.

Hope your's is better.

I'm done here.

regards
    mech
    Actually it is a mystery for me why they installed 2 converters. It is obviously not cheaper, and since lower oxygen sensor is located after first converter, what is the purpose of second?

EDIT: found this explanation:
    http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nts-12059.html
    Starting mid-year in 2000, v6 equipped S10's began to get dual inline catalytic converters... the rear one stayed in the same location and is the same part number, but a new smaller one was added a couple feet forward, immediately after the junction of the two cylinder banks' exhaust.
    This "precat" as it's called serves only one purpose: it heats up more quickly due to being closer to the engine and made of a lighter material - so it reduces HC emissions during the first few minutes of driving before the main cat gets up to temp.

"a guy I know" shattered the catalyst inside his precat after partially crushing the enclosure with a rock on a particularly rough Arizona road, removed it entirely & blew out the main cat with a leaf blower (to remove debris from the damaged precat) and filled the gap with a section of straight pipe. No driveability difference was apparent, the ECU did not report a post-cat O2 sensor failure, and the vehicle produced nearly identical #'s on its next emissions test
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 12-28-2015 at 11:51 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never said the second cat wasn't necessary, I just had the option to remove it when I had my exhaust done. Am I telling others to do the same? No. That being said I passed my inspection this past year and actually noticed a small bump in my mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Here is my reply from SuperCircuit about the header shipping:

The SUPERCIRCUIT 3-1 Headers made for Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2L is USD237.00 each.

It will be an extra USD70.00 each for the delivery via Post Office's EMS. The normal leadtime will be around 15-20 working days to arrive your doorstep.
    I've also added this information to the first post.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just got the same message. Thats a hell of a hit for me as the canadian dollar is like 73 cents to one usa dollar...

Itll cost me $400 plus CAD just to get it. Probably going to have to hold off for now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you gotten a quote from SpeedLab for their header?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No not yet.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    After a year and a half use w/ headers, a rattle developed on the 2nd CAT observed at 1K and 3K RPMs for which I think at these RPMs a metallic internal part of the converter that have become loose, resonates.

I am looking now for an aftermarket CAT that can serve the function of both two CATs plus as an upgrade would be the Flowmaster HP-2 muffler.

If I fail in the emission test, I can add an HHO which would result in a cleaner exhaust and higher fuel efficiency. With an Oil Catch Tank plus HHO combo, I think that will be the best setup for my car.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (10-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any update on the header axeldsm1?

Country
    Taiwan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I was digging for fun stuff and ended up finding a header for the 1.2L 3A92. The blog post is from June 18, 2015, so its a fairly recent development. No idea of the build quality nor do I have any reviews on it, but it does look pretty nice. The dyno chart they provide a picture of is a little odd. It has 3 separate pulls on it so you don't know really what is what. I never saw a picture of the stock exhaust manifold, but it does look pretty horrible haha.

SuperCircuit is a company in Malaysia. I'm going to email them about a price shipped to the US so we have some idea. SpeedLab quoted someone here I think $250 (currently $180 USD) shipped to Australia.

Here is the email reply from SuperCircuit:

Mitsubishi Mirage (6th Generation) Header

Attachment 4747

Attachment 4748

blue = stock
    red = Supercircut header
    green = Supercircuit header plus 2ndary CAT removed

Attachment 4749
    Hi, the vehicle dynoed by supercircuit was my mirage. There are 3 runs, the second is only removing 1 cat which have very minimal gains and supercircuit asked me if I would like to try to Remove the second one which leads to the 3rd result.. The gain for me was very significantly felt. The quality of the extractor is very good, this company in Malaysia is well known for their custom and higher end extractors. For me, this is one of the best mod so far.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jjjoooyyy For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2016)