Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recall with wire corrosion issue

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Recall with wire corrosion issue

http://wgntv.com/2015/12/19/mitsubis...rrosion-issue/

Mitsubishi Motors is recalling roughly 25,000 Mirages with model years 2014 and 2015 on concerns that certain wires could corrode and cause issues to the vehicle’s air bag systems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Saturday that the vehicles affected were manufactured from August 2013 to September 2015 and were sold in states on the East Coast and in the Midwest.
    ---

Admin edit: Links to official recall info

USA: no record yet

NRCAN: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0

Transport Canada Recall # 2015579

Recall Date 2015/12/04
    Notification Type Safety Mfr
    System Electrical
    Manufacturer Recall Number SR16-001
    Units Affected 8,875
    Category Car
    Recall Details
    On certain vehicles, the wiring harness connector located in the area of the drivers footrest could corrode over time due to repeated exposure to melted snow/water containing road salt. This could eventually result in illumination of several warning lamps including the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) warning lamp. If the SRS warning lamp is illuminated and the vehicle is subsequently involved in a collision that warrants frontal air bag deployment, the timing of the frontal airbag deployment(s) may be delayed, which would increase the risk of injury to the seat occupant(s). Correction: Dealers will install a waterproof sheet to prevent potential contamination and corrosion of the connector. The connector will also be inspected and, if any corrosion is found, the connector will be replaced with a new one.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 01-08-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added official recall links

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

R01k (12-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a thread around here that almost predicted this recall.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is official now..... should be coming in mail.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    More info on this. It looks like recall has been issued in snowbelt states, check if your state on the list:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/20/m...airbag-recall/
    The Basics: Mitsubishi is recalling 25,185 examples of the 2014-2015 Mirage, built between August 7, 2013, and September 2, 2015, sold or ever registered in states that use salt to melt ice on the road during the winter months. Those include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia.

The Problem: Snow with road salt tracked in on boots could cause a wiring connector to short out behind a kick panel next to the driver's footrest, potentially delaying the deployment of the front airbags.

Injuries/Deaths: None reported.

The fix: Mitsubishi dealers are being instructed to inspect the electrical connectors, replace any corroded ones, and fit a waterproof sheet to prevent any further corrosion. No timeframe has been set as of yet.

If you own one: Try not to track in too much snow. Watch out for the SRS warning light on the dashboard, which will alert you if there's a problem with the airbags. Expect to hear from Mitsubishi Motors North America in due course to arrange for your vehicle to be checked out at a local dealer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Has anyone got a letter yet?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Not me (no letter yet), but I'll bet mine are never an issue. They stay clean and dry in the garage, with a wet or dry mini shop vac 10 seconds away.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Not me (no letter yet), but I'll bet mine are never an issue. They stay clean and dry in the garage, with a wet or dry mini shop vac 10 seconds away.

regards
    mech
    I was thinking the same. I don't put my feet anywhere near the kick panel and never wear boots in the car. I also am very careful after reading about the plugs location.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would be nice if their fix was a free set of front WeatherTech floor mats.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (01-07-2016)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Waiting for letter. Hopefully my car does have the serial number to go through though. My brother went on a rant about how his model and year honda didn't get a free recall fix because his serial number wasn't on the list, although his car had the problem for why it was being recalled. RIP~

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire