Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: turning off traction control

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You have to turn traction control off every time you start the car if you want it off, right? I believe it defaults back to on when you start the engine the next time.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    You have to turn traction control off every time you start the car if you want it off, right? I believe it defaults back to on when you start the engine the next time.
    Yes it does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-19-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Unfortunately. I've trained myself to turn it off as soon as I get in, most of the time anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Snow tires actually reach their peak traction at spin speeds beyond what traction control will allow, so being able to turn it off can be useful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Snow tires actually reach their peak traction at spin speeds beyond what traction control will allow, so being able to turn it off can be useful.
    I agree wholeheartedly. There are conditions where you do need to able to spin the tires. We had a Dodge Journey AWD that my wife got stuck on a unplowed sidestreet due to the fact the traction control bogged the vehicle down until it just wouldn't go any further (about 10" of fresh snow). I came home from work and turned the traction control off, locked it into low gear and powered through the end of the street to a plowed road.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I realize you wanted every advantage so that you could beat the Spark, but do you think that turning of the traction control or using the B gear actually helped you get ahead of the Spark?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    As written before, the traction control canīt be turned of in the european spec Space Star.

But itīs not a traction control known from a lot of other cars (braking the front tires when spinning) but rahter a traction control that would fit for a real rally car. When the street is really slippery, the rpm will be stalled right at 3000 rpm, even with full throttle. The light for the electronic stability program goes on, but you have really enough rpm to let the tires spin as you want to.

If there is more grip and the rear tires are rolling, the stability control allows the motor speed to go higher with a constant difference of speed between the front and rear tires. You get a lot of more power you really need and the car launches like a racecar on slippery ground - even if shifting to higher gears.

Therefore itīs a lot of fun to drive the Space Star in the snow - and with the perfect handling (hardly any under- or oversteering at all), the stability control only will intervene when using the handbrake or you really get far-off the physical limits.

Itīs really like a real rally car with an emergency system for idiots.

The Space Star is so much more than a low-budget car when it comes to the technical refinements - absolutely underestimated by everyone.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

GrnBn (01-22-2016),HitShane (05-31-2016),MetroMPG (01-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    I realize you wanted every advantage so that you could beat the Spark, but do you think that turning of the traction control or using the B gear actually helped you get ahead of the Spark?
    The "B" Gear has a much lower gear ratio than "D". Put your Mirage in "B" at a stop and floor it. You'd be surprised at how radical the difference is.

http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/products/cvt/cvt7.html

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've "raced" multiple people and people are amazed by how quick it can be for a 3 cylinder car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DirectNova For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectNova View Post
    I've "raced" multiple people and people are amazed by how quick it can be for a 3 cylinder car.
    Yes you don't need much HP in light car. Now imagine how quick it would be with 148hp 4B engine...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)