Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Record (low) for fuel mileage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New Record (low) for fuel mileage

First, I will lead off: this isn't about safety, or law breaking, or law abiding. I don't recommend anyone trying what I did, and don't want to debate about the perceptions a reader may or may not have about the direct or indirect hazards involved. I post this as an FYI.

I did a 250 mile jaunt today. I set a 'record' on the last leg.
    My last fill-up was at one of those fuel stops within the interstate (i.e., the exit is literally in between the opposing traffic lanes and it's only a fuel, food, rest stop). It was a 66.9 mile run from leaving the pump to pulling up to the next pump "at home." It's interstate, the traffic was very light and as the posted limit was 75, with most traffic traveling around 80ish, I reserved my "higher speed" forays to vacant sections.
    It took me (many minutes) less than an hour by the Mirage's clock. That averages to a healthy speed. But a not so healthy MPG.

I got 18.95 MPG.

As an aside: Part of this post's intent is to how it indirectly address the: is 74HP enough question?
    Yes, this 'proves' (IMO) that 74HP is plenty (74HP gets you readily into speeds most might consider unreasonable or unsafe); in answering it also counters with - who 'really' needs cars with double that HP (which is still considered paltry) or even 5x that (400HP, new Mustangs and Camaros)?

BTW - in a (very vacant) downhill section I was able to get a GPS verified 107MPH, in 5th gear. On flat level ground the Mirage cannot seem to get to more than 100/101 MPH (at least with my set-up: stock ride-height, wider wheels and mudflaps that stick out about 1/2 inch at all wheel wells)

Last edited by Minihaha; 01-02-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think I remember once a Pontiac Montana running wide open until the tank was empty. 120 miles on 20 gallons of fuel in around 1 hour@ 6 mpg, when Montana had no speed limit.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    ... a Pontiac Montana running wide open...120 miles on 20 gallons of fuel in around 1 hour@ 6 mpg, when Montana had no speed limit....
    mech
    That is moving in a minivan!
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    My Space Star easily reaches about 110 mph (175 km/h) with GPS on flat level ground, not even at full throttle (and it should, of course, because Mitsubishi claims 180 km/h). On a German autobahn this is a rather low speed and with 180 km/h on the odometer the handling of the Space Star is very good and safe.

18,95 mpg is very bad, too. Even driving constant at a speed of 180 km/h on a German autobahn, the fuel consumption should not be higher than about 11-12 l/100 km in my opinion.

Considering the low top speed and high fuel consumption, I would take the car to the garage to let it get checked.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i only get those figures when i drive pure city and alot of stop and go.

with spirited driving and more chances to speed, i get around an average of 10km/L.

how many seconds does it take to get to 170? i always run out of straights to do it on WOT and shifting at 6k coz past 150 it takes a while to gain speed

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I recently took a 90 mile trip, averaging 80 mph, while heading into a 25-30 mph headwind. With the CVT equipped Mirage and cruise control set, the car averaged 24 mpg. I took a video of this happening, showing the ECO light was not on and RPMs were averaging 4k to 5k for the entire trip. Oh, and that was on level ground.

My worst fuel economy ever was with my 2003 Dodge SRT4 at the 2004 SRT National meet. I averaged 6 mpg while racing on the road course. In 60 miles I wore out a set of race tires.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    My Space Star easily reaches about 110 mph (175 km/h) with GPS on flat level ground, not even at full throttle (and it should, of course, because Mitsubishi claims 180 km/h). On a German autobahn this is a rather low speed and with 180 km/h on the odometer the handling of the Space Star is very good and safe.

18,95 mpg is very bad, too. Even driving constant at a speed of 180 km/h on a German autobahn, the fuel consumption should not be higher than about 11-12 l/100 km in my opinion.

Considering the low top speed and high fuel consumption, I would take the car to the garage to let it get checked.
    He got 12.4 which is inline with your 11-12 estimate, as it sounds he lives/travel through hilly area. Most US jurisdictions have rather low speed limit of 65-70-75-80 MPH, so if traffic was moving at 85-90 that would require alot of acceleration and braking. And if he traveled west, he would have been going uphill; the whole state is tilted from Colorado to Mississippi river. And it is windy there most of the time.

With respect to OP, I'd worry about stock suspension being safe at that speed.

PS. I've crossed Kansas twice on I-70.. never again.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 01-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    He got 12.4 which is inline with your 11-12 estimate...traveled west, he would have been going uphill...And it is windy there most of the time.

With respect to OP, I'd worry about stock suspension being safe at that speed.

PS. I've crossed Kansas twice on I-70.. never again.

Right on, for the HWY bit. Traveling west and up a lot of hills, KC to Salina on I-70 (about 1/2 'cross KS) is hilly!. It's west of Salina that it becomes horrible, and then the eastern 1/2 of CO is just as bad....

As for the stock suspension - I've got aftermarket wheels (195/50R15), front strut brace and rear anti-sway bar. They all make a *world* of difference. Struts/shocks and springs would take it to a whole new level, but even w/o them it's not what I would deem unsafe. I've actually done a few track laps in the Mirage and am confident with its handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcRsh8vANA
    ゼロ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    What track is this? Also, what is rubbing in the corners?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    Oh No!!! The dreaded shuffle steering!!!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)