Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a short shifter

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hey Daox,

Measurements are in 'mm'. I'm Australian and thus have had limited exposure to imperial sizes. It's metric all the way for me! Also, all measurements are +/- 3mm as it'sdifficult to get really precise in-situ.

From floor to bottom of shifter: 50mm.
    The floor has a slight recess giving the shifter and cable slightly more room than the surrounding structure.

Neutral to dash: 207mm
    3rd to dash: 155mm
    4th to dash: 260mm

The shifter I've ordered should be here in a week. If it doesn't fit, I'm going to cut and shut it.

I figure 20mm on the bottom will shorten the throw significantly. From the fulcrum ball to the lower ball is about 75mm centre to centre. 95mm is ample for throw shortening while still providing clearance.

I'm not going to cut anything off the top; I plan on using it for hill climbs and want the shift lever as close as possible to the wheel.

Winning at Mirage!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BrisMJ For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Excellent, thanks Matt!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Based on Matt's measurements, it looks like we can get a very nice 40% reduction in throw pretty easily. This will bring the stock 4" (105mm) throw down to just under 2.5" (63mm) of throw.

So, the next question is who is interested in testing a prototype? I'll give a good price to the person I end up going with. Of course I'm going to require some pictures and help writing up a DIY install so others can easily install theirs. PM me if you are interested.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Yes! Thank you for the Tombstone reference. I think that movie is hilarious and Val Kilmer stole the show.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hey Daox,

A mate was looking at it yesterday and came up with another idea that might be worth trying. Basically making a clamp block so you can cut the shifter shaft and extend it slightly.

I'll get a block machined up at work out of alloy, I'm thinking 1" x 1" x 2", a hole machined so its a tolerance fit for the shaft with an expansion cut on one side and 2 holes, top and bottom for a nut and bolt. I'm working in inches now because I'll be doing it at work.

Take out you original shifter, cut it, slide both parts into the clamp block and tighten when you have the length you desire.

I'm guessing the average punter will pay $30 to a machine shop but I'm an Aircraft Engineer with Virgin Australia and we have a machine shop at work. It just going to be a case of getting access to it.

If I can get the lads at work to knock this up, would you guys over there be interested? I can post them to anywhere and freight would only be $10US or so.

It should work- as long as it's not pure aluminium, say a block of 6061T6 or 7071T6 should handle about a million yimes more pressure than that shifter.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by BrisMJ; 01-27-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Scratch the previous post.

There's not enough room due to the shifter cage substructure.

Cutting, sleeving and welding would be the only option there.
    Last edited by BrisMJ; 01-28-2016 at 11:45 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrisMJ For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-28-2016),MetroMPG (01-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What about sawing off the shifter to the desired length and putting on a $10 auto parts shift knob?

Both my son and I tried this on our Chevy Sparks and it works great and shortens the throw quite a bit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Speedracer For This Useful Post:

gone.a (02-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer View Post
    What about sawing off the shifter to the desired length and putting on a $10 auto parts shift knob?

Both my son and I tried this on our Chevy Sparks and it works great and shortens the throw quite a bit.
    This is what I was thinking of as well. Cut it and remove about an inch and a half, then weld it back together or use JB weld. Throws should be quite a bit shorter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That will definitely shorten the throw, just not nearly as much as extending the bottom shaft.

In fact, since I have the wonderful measurements from BrisMJ, I can tell you exactly how much it'll shorten throw by chopping out 1.5" of the top shaft...

You'll get an 18% throw reduction by chopping 1.5" off the top of the shaft.

You'll also loose the tapped portion of the shaft by doing so unless you cut and weld it like ahausheer mentioned. Thus you won't be able to use the OEM shift knob anymore, and you'll have to use an aftermarket one with a setscrew to hold it in place.