Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a short shifter

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Developing a short shifter

I alluded to it in my new years Mirage resolutions, but I am developing a short shifter for the Mirage. This is also one of the mods requested in the what aftermarket parts would you buy? poll. So, lets get down to business eh?

Not long ago, I nabbed a shifter assembly from a wrecker so I had something to work with.

Name:  shifter1.jpg
Views: 3707
Size:  41.5 KB

The assembly is not easy to tear apart. I had to get my grinder out to cut off some of the hardware. It will have to be replaced when it gets reassembled. Anyway, I was able to get the shifter shaft removed from the assembly. It is an interesting setup. The ball seems to be made of a plastic that is bonded to the steel, so we can't move it. However, we can cut and weld the metal which is the plan. So, what I am planning (and have done on other vehicles before) is cut a section out of the top of the shaft, and then weld the top back together. After that, I cut the bottom of the shaft and weld the piece from the top in it.

Name:  shifter2.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  25.5 KB

But, I have a problem... I don't have a Mirage to test it on. So, I'm looking for volunteers who would be willing to help me. I'll need you to remove the trim around your shifter and take some measurements so I know how much we can extend the lower part of the shaft before it hits the chassis along with a few other things.

Do I have any volunteers?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-06-2016)

I would totally volunteer.

I've never tried a short-shifter mod. But I have driven a 1st gen Miata which has the shortest throw and most fun-to-shift transmission I've driven, and I imagine the mod will move things in a similar way:

- short throws,
    - moderately higher shift effort,
    - more noticeably "direct" feel to the shifts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like a 5g 1997 to 2003 short shifter would work on the 6g mirage check it out. I have a extra one laying around here somewhere. If not I will just take it off my 5g turboed mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5g shifter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to axeldsm1 For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-06-2016),gone.a (02-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting. The shifter shaft does look very similar. However, there are no e-clips in this assembly. It uses a push on type washer that is ridiculously hard to get off and I had to cut mine off.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm interested in helping. You might need to give me directions on how to do what.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome, thanks Ares!

The measurements I need are pretty simple, but like I said it'll require a bit of disassembly to get them. Here are the measurements I need:

1) Remove the shift knob. Shift into 3rd gear (shifter full forward). Measure the distance to the dash board.
    2) With the shift knob still removed, shift to 4th gear (shifter full backward). Measure the distance to the dash board.

These two measurements will give me the stock throw and allow me to calculate how altering the shifter shaft will effect the throw of the modified shaft.

3) With the shifter in neutral, measure the distance from the bottom of the shifter with the shift cable attached to the chassis.

This will tell me how far I can extend the lower portion of the shaft before hitting the chassis. This will require removing the trim around the shifter assembly.

If that isn't clear, just let me know.

Name:  shifter dimensions.jpg
Views: 3186
Size:  35.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good. I'll try to do it this weekend, but can't promise. The weekend already looks packed.

Do you have a quick DIY on removing the center console? I'm sure I can find the screws that lock it in place, you know, because all our screws are exposed. which is one of the negative comments a reviewer pointed out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds good Ares. I do not have any DIY on how to remove the center console. Its usually two or three screws in the back and some plastic fasteners or screws up front and you can lift it out from my experience with other cars. If anyone has any tips please share!

Also, if anyone else wants to measure things up, I'd be thankful too. Worst case you guys verify info which is always nice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dunno if you have a login on MPH, but they have a DIY kinda written up here:

http://www.miragepilipinas.com/Threa...Center-Console