Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Developing a short shifter

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the shifter shaft is really long like the Spark's, you can easily hack off 4 or 5 inches like I did. A few minutes with a hack saw is all it takes, just make sure you figure out what is comfortable for you beforehand. My son's arms are a little shorter than mine so he cut off about an inch less.

Those aftermarket knobs come with a set of plastic collars for a tight fit on the shaft, the three Allen head set screws keep it very secure. I was able to find a knob that looked very much like stock for less than $10 at the auto parts store. It only takes a few minutes to swap out any knob that suits one's fancy. I wouldn't worry about losing the threaded part of shaft, it's just a cheap and secure way for Mitsubishi to attach the stock knob.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I alluded to it in my new years Mirage resolutions, but I am developing a short shifter for the Mirage. This is also one of the mods requested in the what aftermarket parts would you buy? poll. So, lets get down to business eh?

Do I have any volunteers?
    I've been thinking about a short shift too. I like the idea of shortening the top end of the shifter, which was something I was thinking about doing, but by adding a little bit of length to the bottom lever, I can definitely see the advantage. If you make it, I'll test it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrisMJ View Post
    I figure 20mm on the bottom will shorten the throw significantly. From the fulcrum ball to the lower ball is about 75mm centre to centre. 95mm is ample for throw shortening while still providing clearance.

I'm not going to cut anything off the top; I plan on using it for hill climbs and want the shift lever as close as possible to the wheel.
    BrisMJ makes a valid point about the shifter to wheel distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Based on Matt's measurements, it looks like we can get a very nice 40% reduction in throw pretty easily. This will bring the stock 4" (105mm) throw down to just under 2.5" (63mm) of throw.

So, the next question is who is interested in testing a prototype? I'll give a good price to the person I end up going with. Of course I'm going to require some pictures and help writing up a DIY install so others can easily install theirs. PM me if you are interested.
    Will do.

Regards,
    Peter

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the interest Peter. Progress is being made on this and I do have a person interested in helping me with testing already. If I need additional help I will contact you.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am in florida but I am in. How can I help

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have all the help I need for now Ntnormal85. Thanks for the offer, and if I need more I'll let you know.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So this week I finished up the short shifter modification and reassembled the shifter assembly.

I started with this.

Next, I had to remove the lower plastic ball joint piece because we'll be welding things and it will melt. To do this I made a small tool that straddled the metal shaft but was small enough to pop the plastic off.

Then, I cut the shaft as shown.

Name:  shifter01.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  95.3 KB

Now I busted out the welder, flipped the middle shaft section around and welded it back together.

Name:  shifter02.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  36.6 KB

And then re-lubricated the plastic ball joint and put it back on.

Name:  shifter04.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  74.7 KB

Last, but not least, I reassembled the shifter assembly.

Name:  shifter05.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  shifter06.jpg
Views: 3347
Size:  37.5 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-18-2016),MetroMPG (03-18-2016)

Nice!

When are you going to get to test it out?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Nice work, thanks for the detailed photos.

Looks like white lithium grease. I'm curious to know if you fiddled any with the shift cables, and what are your impressions? I say this in the sense that other owners have addressed notchy shifting by lubricating the shift cables.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am going to meet up with local Mirage owner Spork to test the shifter out this weekend.

Yep, the whole assembly is caked with lithium grease.

I'm not sure about the shift cables. I've never driven a manual Mirage yet. This weekend will be the first time. The only Mirage I've driven was a CVT which shifted silky smooth. I'll keep your question in mind as we install it and see how different it feels in use.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The top part above the ball is the height, the part below the ball effects throw. I think the height of the shifter is right (total length) which means to make it short through, extend the lower portion but keep the top same height. This is why honda cable trans short shifters are z shaped on top, they keep the stock height above the ball and extend the lower. In subarus, the aftermarket kit comes with an adjustable ball you can move up and down as it too is cable. Just my .02....