Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine flush and oil stabiliser

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Engine flush and oil stabiliser

Hey guys,

Would you use an engine oil flush the one you add before change and let idle 5 mins before you flush the engine?

Would you guys add an oil stabiliser to help with cold startups gets cold in the -20c -30c here. I hear the Zn is bad for most Alu engines.

let me know !

Thanks
    1.2 mirage '14

I'm pretty sure the Mirage's stock engine oil is 100% synthetic, so you wouldn't need any kind of stabilizers in the winter if you keep using synthetic oil.

Personally I've never used any kind of oil flush. As long as you don't neglect oil changes, there should not be anything building up that needs to be flushed out.

You might want to look into the block heater threads though -- for more comfort & better fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Personally I've never used any kind of oil flush. As long as you don't neglect oil changes, there should not be anything building up that needs to be flushed out.

You might want to look into the block heater threads though -- for more comfort & better fuel economy.
    Agree on both counts.

Many cars ago we had valve covers off on engine with 68k. The internals looked like they just rolled off assembly line, sparking silver. Engine had conventional oil for 1st 15k and then Mobil-1 for the rest. That was back in the day when synthetic meant PAO, not re-refined Group-3 conventional oil, but still.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

jbarr (01-06-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey guys

thanks for sharing your experiences

Anyone know the science behind these products tho? I know the stab will coat with zn the internals. The flush I think removes old additives

I know they are reccomended to use ion low temps with iron cast blocks but what about our 1.2s ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For the most part I don't believe any advantage will come from using oil additives, stabilizers, or flushes. Assuming that you are following a regular maintenance schedule and that the engine is getting up to operating temperature regularly then you should see no engine problems due to oil sludging, varnish etc. as suggested by cyclopathic. If you truly are concerned then use a true PAO such as Mobil 1 EP or Penzoil Ultra Platinum, though with a 7500 mile oil change interval I would use any API SN class "synthetic" 0w20.

As to the zinc, it is a good anti-wear additive which used to be in much higher levels than currently in SN or even SM class oils. The reason it is in lesser quantities is because it is known to reduce catalytic converter life. High zinc levels used to be considered a requirement for flat tappet engines, though modern thinking and high quality oils seems to put that requirement in doubt. Regardless this does not apply to our engine. If you are truly interested into the whole debate and intricacies involved in oil specification, there are entire forums dedicated to oil just as ours is to the Mirage.

Personal recommendation, by whichever 0w20 is on sale (usually in oil change kits with filter at autopart store) and change normally at about 7500 mile intervals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Som1 pl confirm
    which pipe to remove and feed Liqui Moly catalytic converter cleaner
    Liqui Moly directions (Establish access to the intake tract. Please note that the access must be located immediately behind the air-flow sensor)
    So which pipe is intake tract ?Name:  20191023_174659.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  97.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris View Post
    Som1 pl confirm
    Liqui Moly directions (Establish access to the intake tract. Please note that the access must be located immediately behind the air-flow sensor)
    This is very interesting - first I've heard of a catalytic converter cleaner. Can you please post a link to the product and the instructions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Harris View Post
    Som1 pl confirm
    You're looking to feed it before or after the air flow sensor? I assume after? The sensor is at the front of the airbox in the picture you posted, with the plug pointing down. The car will run like pooh, if at all once it's unplugged, you might be able to just unbolt/screw it and run it ?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XxPuNTeRxX View Post
    Hey guys,

Would you use an engine oil flush the one you add before change and let idle 5 mins before you flush the engine?

Would you guys add an oil stabiliser to help with cold startups gets cold in the -20c -30c here. I hear the Zn is bad for most Alu engines.

let me know !

Thanks
    1.2 mirage '14
    I would not flush it! Why? because if maintenance is carried out normally and with good products, there is totally no need for that.

Most "oil stabilisers" do nothing else but thicken the oil! You surely don't want that. Use a good quality oil, but beware, just a brand with a famous name does not always mean good quality.

See and compare specification standards, patricularly VW50400 to other specs.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Country
    Pakistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is very interesting - first I've heard of a catalytic converter cleaner. Can you please post a link to the product and the instructions?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5efSS31obI