Thread: Hi from Australia

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hi from Australia

Hi i like small type cars and have a big interest in efficiency of them regards to fuel economy. I started of with the old Morris mini's Mazda 323 Diahatsu charade and now i have 2 suzuki carry vans from the 70s. The new Mirage cought my attention with its very good aerodynamics light weight and fairly basic engine with long time proven features. I look forward to finding out more about these interesting cars.

Jamie

Hi Jamie - We never got the Charade here in Canada. Though I understand from Wikipedia that they were sold in the U.S. for a few years. Did you like that car? With your buying history I can see why the Mirage caught your attention.

Since they've recently rolled out the Mirage down under, have you seen one yet in the sheet metal? Gone to a dealership?

North America gets its debut of the car this week, so I'm looking forward to comparing specs between our 2 countries.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    G'day metro the charade was ok had a 3 cylinder engine had a bad Cd of 0.4 still averaged around 5l/100klm.
    Then i bought a factory turbocharged one had lots of go and still got around 5l/100klm

They have not released the Mirage here yet tho should be any day now went past a dealer 2 days ago there was none there not evan in the new car spot round the back waiting for the show room. The local dealer is ment to send me an email when the have the cars in. I will try and get some pics when they are in.

Will be interesting to find any differances between our cars and yours.
    The carry van has a 2 stroke 3 cylinder 539cc motor mid mounted

And the smaller version with the same motor

My truck with the van on the back just for size

Ive had a few v8 and 6 cylinder powered cars as well.

Cheers Jamie

2-stroke! There's a surprise.

Will be interesting to find any differances between our cars and yours.
    Agreed. Looking forward to finding out more. I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm actually excited to see what specs Mitsu Canada is going to reveal on Thursday. It's just a car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hey, we still have a 3-door, G100 Charade! It is so barebones that it didn't even come with a radio when we bought it. 50 horsepower, 993cc, 3 cylinders, carbureted, 5-speed manual tranny. Too bad the turboed one wasn't released for our local market.

My mom went to Australia in the '90's and she said that Charades were really, really common.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yep still alot of those charades kicking about here they are very reliable. I thought my Suzuki carry vans were very basic they still came with a radio though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    ...so barebones that it didn't even come with a radio when we bought it. 50 horsepower, 993cc, 3 cylinders, carbureted, 5-speed manual tranny.
    Almost the same spects on my 1998 Pontiac Firefly (Geo Metro / Suzuki Cultus clone) - no radio, not even a switch on the passenger door to turn on the interior light! Stripped to the bone.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Speaking of interior lights i notice there is no light in the hatch copartment on the Mirage.