Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of the Mirage fuel economy gauge / MPG display: 4 owners say "pessimistic"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wonder how much of that has to do with his driving technique though? Wayne isn't exactly your average driver.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    CleanMPG is test driving the CVT Mirage. The driver measured fuel use and found the gauge was nearly spot on:

68.1 MPG (US) - factory gauge
    vs...
    67.9 MPG (US) - manual calculation at the pump

This was a very small fill-up, however. The larger the fill, the more accurate the comparison.
    mm in this case the meter was more then real life....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the beginning of this year I began to test my Lancer for the accuracy of the fuel use.
    The average error is 6% - the car uses more fuel than it shows (higher MPG than in reality).

However:
    - the average error on the freeway is 3%
    - the average error in the city is 9%

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I noticed this as well and it was explained to me that the pump is not as accurate as the car. You have to take into account the temperature of the fuel you are putting it. The pump may automatically stop sooner then it should. You never know if it is truly full or if it gave a false reading because there was too much pressure/fumes pouring out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My last tank was 44.6 mpg at the pump, and the MID showed 46.3 mpg. I don't know if this has an effect, but my speedo reads 1% lower than the speed I am travelling, as measured by a scangauge and mile markers. I adjusted my mileage numbers in my fuel log.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-09-2013)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I agree with the 1% lower on the car speedo. I use a Garmin sat nav and at 100km per hour
    on the car speedo the sat nav reads 102km. so a 1 to 2% difference.
    The sat nav also records distance so it adds 1 km for ever 100 km on the car.
    I resite the sat nav and car distance when refilling and I alway fill the tank to the top of the out let.
    That way I get on going fuel eco. 5 LPH or 47.7 MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pinky For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-11-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for sharing guys.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    I agree with the 1% lower on the car speedo. I use a Garmin sat nav and at 100km per hour
    on the car speedo the sat nav reads 102km. so a 1 to 2% difference.
    The sat nav also records distance so it adds 1 km for ever 100 km on the car.
    I resite the sat nav and car distance when refilling and I alway fill the tank to the top of the out let.
    That way I get on going fuel eco. 5 LPH or 47.7 MPG.
    funny

over here cars always show less
    so 100 is GPS 95 or so

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had my first official fillup today on the new ride. (US 2014 mirage DE manual)

The display seems to be optimistic.

Calculations at the pump 57.4 MPG (US). (452.4 miles/7.889 US gallons) "B" display was showing 59.4 MPG. 3.5% optimistic.

I reset my "B" display at this fillup but it was not reset before.

However that makes me think that it will be more inaccurate at next fillup since it managed to work itself up high with the previously driven lower numbers (test drives and idling at the dealership) accumulated along with my driving?
    (if that makes any sense)

As a side note I'm a bit disappointed with the MPG result considering my hypermiling efforts on this tank.

There is something I noticed that might ease my disappointment... the odometer (trip) showes that my usual gas station where I always fill is 25.7 miles (to the house). If I remember correctly,the actual distance should be right at 27.X miles according to previous GPS numbers.

I will check this with GPS tomorrow on my way to work. If I'm right, and there is 4+% difference in distance,then it is possible that my actual MPG is 4+% better.

Maybe the odometer was optimized to be correct once the tires worn off some of their tread height and it will register more revolutions per mile compared to the brand new larger diameter tires that's on now? We shall see.

EDIT! Odometer in car is only 1% "slower" than actual compared to a Garmin GPS over a 100 mile trip! (100 miles on car almost 101 miles on GPS)
    Last edited by 3dplane; 11-17-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: updating info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats on your fantastic MPG, 3d. Would you share with us your hypermiling techniques and mods to the car? Your numbers are amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)