Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of the Mirage fuel economy gauge / MPG display: 4 owners say "pessimistic"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    Congrats on your fantastic MPG, 3d. Would you share with us your hypermiling techniques and mods to the car? Your numbers are amazing.

Thank you!

Sure I'll share

A mix of city and highway most of my commute is to work,about a 28 mile trip one way.

Car is stock for now,except tire pressure was bumped to 42 psi.

Keeping RPMs low as possible, LOTS of neutral coasting when ever posible. Even on relatively flat land I pulse and glide. If traffic allows,I will pulse and glide somewhere between 55-60 MPH down to 40MPH-ish on highway.

In city the whole ride is pulse and glide anyway.

I even did some EOC (engine off coasting) when it made sense to do so. Using bump start to save starter life.

I could achieve this mileage with my 94 mazda protege 1.8L 5 speed despite being a larger and heavier car. However that car had some mods. (aero and mechanical like alternator on a switch etc).

That's about it in a nutshell!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (11-14-2013)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think Mitsubishis under-reporting fuel economy display is common for Mitsubishis. Mine is typically 4-6MPG under the actual MPG and the Lancer forum says the same thing for quite a few members there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxtrot685 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2013)

Thanks for that, Foxtrot.

(Copied your comment over from 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Geo Metro MPG -- fuel economy showdown )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot685 View Post
    I think Mitsubishis under-reporting fuel economy display is common for Mitsubishis. Mine is typically 4-6MPG under the actual MPG and the Lancer forum says the same thing for quite a few members there.
    thats a lot

1,7 to 2.55 liter per 100km more then real life.... thats seems high.

that would mean a MID saying 20km per liter would in real life be 22 or even 22,5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot685 View Post
    I don't know how the Lancer forum members recorded their MPG. I made a table of mileage, used gas and MPG (Auto and by calculating). I have never got the Auto MPG under the actual MPG. Here is the table

UPDATE: This table shows the average MPG.
    Once at the 37,749 miles I reset the "Manual" (M in the settings) fuel economy and never touched it. The "Real MPG" is calculated at mileage on every tank filled up minus 37,749 and divided on the sum of all gas used.
    Thus, every line is compared to AVG MPG of "Auto" and "Real/Actual".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mikhail; 11-25-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    maybe with a faster way of driving compared to a hypermiler would count for the display offset?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    maybe with a faster way of driving compared to a hypermiler would count for the display offset?
    I compared the "auto MPG" and "Actual MPG" when I drove only on highways and each time I got, for example, 33 MPG by filling up the gas tank and 35 MPG on the display.

I asked a professional and he told me that this is normal when the actual MPG is a little less than displayed on the car (in other words the car uses just a little bit more fuel than it shows).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Keeping RPMs low as possible, LOTS of neutral coasting when ever posible.
    Don't use the neutral for coasting (both on CVT or Manual). The car is engineered to use fuel even when on "neutral" and does not use fuel on the gear when coasting.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I highly doubt there's a lie involved but there usually is a small area of error in these kinds of calculations. Factors like evaporation, lower then advertised octane, octane degradation, altitude, humidity, weight, wheel spin, rotational loss (by which I mean that durring a turn that some tires travel a different distance then others and your distance traveled is mearly an average), brake loss, tire pressures, odometer fractions, wheel size, calculation rounding, and ect. continued for a few more pages can all have an effect on the very simplistic method on which your mpg is estimated. It's good to keep a record to see the difference but it is to be expected. The gauge after all is just an Estimated Average MPG.

P.S: I might even have the equation that mitsubishi uses within the ECU to calculate mpg at home on my tuning pc. If I get a chance ill see about posting it up for fun sake.

Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    P.S: I might even have the equation that mitsubishi uses within the ECU to calculate mpg at home on my tuning pc. If I get a chance ill see about posting it up for fun sake.
    That would be interesting to see if you have it handy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)