Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Accuracy of the Mirage fuel economy gauge / MPG display: 4 owners say "pessimistic"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    The car is engineered to use fuel even when on "neutral" and does not use fuel on the gear when coasting.
    Absolutely correct there.

However... neutral coasting can improve your overall fuel economy due to the fact the car goes significantly farther in N than when engine braking in gear (in fuel cut-off mode). That much longer distance covered while using a small amount of fuel at idle outweighs the savings of burning no fuel over a short distance. Generally, coasting as much as possible (instead of friction braking or engine braking) is a time-tested fuel saving technique.

U.S. EPA testing rules that determine fuel economy ratings specifcally say that the test driver cannot shift to N during the test (because it could inflate the MPG numbers).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Absolutely correct there.

However... neutral coasting can improve your overall fuel economy due to the fact the car goes significantly farther in N than when engine braking in gear (in fuel cut-off mode). That much longer distance covered while using a small amount of fuel at idle outweighs the savings of burning no fuel over a short distance. Generally, coasting as much as possible (instead of friction braking or engine braking) is a time-tested fuel saving technique.
    It's safer to keep the car "on gear" than coasting on neutral whenever you have that "possible" moment.

I've driven the car with CVT for about 5.5 years and can say that the car stops faster when the gear selector is on N than keeping it on D and coasting at high gear ratio.

This summer I've tried driving my car (EPA 21 City/29 HWY) as much economically as possible and accomplished this result :
    Name:  IMG_2660.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  33.6 KB
    Driven distance is about 60 miles at 50-60 MPH.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Resurrecting this old thread.

After 15900 km my 'B' gauge says 21.6km/L, while my own administration says 22.2km/L. So my gauge is also pessimistic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My results show the MID-B gauge is just over 2 mpg optimistic. I've been averaging these results for my two years and five months of ownership.

I reset my MID-B gauge at every fill-up.

Refer to my Fuel Economy Log for details.

I love that on this forum old threads never die, they just keep on giving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    My results show the MID-B gauge is just over 2 mpg optimistic. I've been averaging these results for my two years and five months of ownership.

I reset my MID-B gauge at every fill-up.

Refer to my Fuel Economy Log for details.

I love that on this forum old threads never die, they just keep on giving.
    I generally see the same thing. I have tracked actual-to-estimated mpg using "MID-B" religiously since I have owned the car...nearly 100,000 miles. Name any week over the last 3 1/2 years and I can tell you what the MID-B said versus what I calculated. If the economy gauge says 45.5 mpg, the mathed-out result will usually be somewhere between 43.5 and 44.0 mpg.

Sometimes, however, they are nearly identical. If the gauge says 45.5, the calculated result will be 45.6 or 45.3.

Other times they are off by as much as 4 mpg. Not sure why.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (07-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I generally see the same thing. I have tracked actual-to-estimated mpg using "MID-B" religiously since I have owned the car...nearly 100,000 miles. Name any week over the last 3 1/2 years and I can tell you what the MID-B said versus what I calculated. If the economy gauge says 45.5 mpg, the mathed-out result will usually be somewhere between 43.5 and 44.0 mpg.

Sometimes, however, they are nearly identical. If the gauge says 45.5, the calculated result will be 45.6 or 45.3.

Other times they are off by as much as 4 mpg. Not sure why.
    My experience has been the same as yours. I reset B at every fill up and every tank is consistently 1-2 mpg lower than the B reading. It has always been this way and I've owned my 2014 CVT from 6k to now which is about 50k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theforerunner343 View Post
    My experience has been the same as yours. I reset B at every fill up and every tank is consistently 1-2 mpg lower than the B reading. It has always been this way and I've owned my 2014 CVT from 6k to now which is about 50k.
    I also reset B at every fill up and my actual mpg is 1-2 mpg lower throughout the 3 years, 52,000+ miles I’ve been tracking

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like the gas guage is very pessimistic especially in city driving or idling. It seems to factor time into it and not just distance.

For example if I sit in traffic for 20 Minutes at 5MPH (reads maybe 20MPG or worse) and only go 1.5 miles my whole MPG will be tanked down into the 20s for most of the trip down to the low 30s. Clearly if I speed up after this I am getting much better MPG but the time seems to make a much bigger difference than the distance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)