Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of the Mirage fuel economy gauge / MPG display: 4 owners say "pessimistic"

Question Accuracy of the Mirage fuel economy gauge / MPG display: 4 owners say "pessimistic"

So far we've had 2 members (that I remember) who have said the factory average fuel consumption gauge is reading pessimistic:

Polkiuj...

Quote Originally Posted by Polkiuj View Post
    Interestingly the mirage gauge is not optimistic but pessimistic! I constantly get about 5-6% more than what it reads.

It varies up to almost 9% at times!

The only time it actually read less was when I fueled up with petronas but the difference was only 1% less.

You can check my fuel log. It has almost complete data.
    From: Speed vs. mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd

CLARK ...

Quote Originally Posted by CLARK View Post
    The economy I'm achieving is better than indicated on the instrument panel by up to 2km/ltr. - a pleasant surprise.

===============

Has anyone else been comparing their gauge to actual calculations of fuel volume at the gas pump vs. distance?

I think it would be unusual for the gauge to be pessimistic - usually people who check these things complain their cars' fuel economy gauges tell a story that's too good to be true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I have observed - though not thoroughly measured - that the gauge is just a tad bit pessimistic. The figures given above seem just about right.

Another observation I made is that the difference between MID readings, given the same commute and traffic conditions, vary significantly depending on whether the aircon is on or not. Having the aircon on can result in a difference of as much as 30%. I'm not sure whether that contributes to the inaccuracy that's seen with the gauge, but that seems rather significant to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-20-2018),MetroMPG (05-31-2013)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    To test, reset your "B" gauge when u do a fuel up. Check at your next fuel up. The "B" gauge is a manual reset gauge and will continue to log FC from last reset.

The "A" gauge resets when the vehicle has not run for at least 4 hrs.

I have (almost) the full list of the readings in my fuel log =)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Polkiuj For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-20-2018),m4v3r1ck (10-23-2013),MetroMPG (05-31-2013),spacester (10-25-2013)

Just want to bump this thread to see if anyone else has measured the accuracy of the fuel economy gauge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    A ha .... just found out. so I should be using the B one and not the A one

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    also did not know about the A and B average fuel use meter..
    thats a nice one.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I writes down the km stance and how much i tanked, always do. My app then counts the efficiency itself. My average is 19,77 km/liter, so far 5000 km driven.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

m4v3r1ck - have you compared your recorded/app calculations to the factory fuel consumption gauge?

By the way - congrats on getting such good results. I wish we had the 1.0L available here.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hey there Metro, I cannot actually compares it because I just recently found out about the B mode after 4900 km of driving it and just set the B meter last week. But after 100 km it reads more than I actually use. So it's actually good for the consumer.

I'm currently doubting if i shouldn't actually want the 1.2L but for my everyday use am very happy with the 1.0L. about the body roll and things, exactly as u said, no one gives a damn on everyday use. I dun even notice after a while, and I drives about 900-1000 km a week in it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-28-2013)

Another driver shows: gauge is accurate

CleanMPG is test driving the CVT Mirage. The driver measured fuel use and found the gauge was nearly spot on:

68.1 MPG (US) - factory gauge
    vs...
    67.9 MPG (US) - manual calculation at the pump

This was a very small fill-up, however. The larger the fill, the more accurate the comparison.