Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM fights back: $9995 2016 Chevrolet Spark Canada's cheapest new car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpon View Post
    I don't know how true that normally is, but it definitely isn't right now. As that last part of the quote seems to allude, the Canadian dollar is utter garbage right now. $10,000 CAD is only $6879.47 USD. The starting price of the Mirage in the US is basically double.
    Yikes! Honestly, the last time I did the calculation was a few weeks ago. IIRC, $10,000 CAD worked out to about $7600 USD.

What I meant is that the regulatory scheme here in the States might be more expensive to deal with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish we could get it for that little! I would be first in line with cash in hand! Having a brand new car without having to finance would be amazing - though, I could do that with a Mirage, too. But less money spent is better!

I like the look of the new spark. To me - that has Hyundai written all over it. I'm not saying that because it's a small car, I'm saying it because the Spark just has a lot of Hyundai body lines.

Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    I wish we could get it for that little!
    Sub 10k pricing (USD) on a new Mirage does exist in the States. We've seen dealers offering it -- it's just not a company-wide thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how it effects Spark (and Mirage/Micra) sales...
    I talked to the product manager for the Nissan Micra when it was introduced here, and he said the last time there was a sub $10k price war in Canada, the whole segment increased sales. Probably because of the increased marketing and attention from the media.

Quote Originally Posted by nickpon View Post
    Ends up being quite a bit more than that once all is said and done, believe me ;P

I wouldn't ever consider buying a Chevy. Despite my bias, in complete honesty, I can say that not a single one of those features (or 5 of them bundled together) would sway me towards any car of any make.
    Yeah, of course. The cheapest you could have gotten out the door in my province with a "$9998" Micra when it was introduced was $12,879 when you included delivery, dealer fees & taxes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    What I meant is that the regulatory scheme here in the States might be more expensive to deal with.
    Believe it or not, Canada's auto regs are identical to the States, with a couple of minor variations (metric instruments, DRLs). The reason: our (dying) auto industry primarily exports to the US, so our regulatory bodies just copy the U.S. system on emissions, crash standards, equipment.

Auto reviewers...almost to a man...want more power, more weight, more luxury, better handling, more noise dampening, etc, etc, out of cars like this, and in markets like Canada where these are sold under $10k the OPPOSITE is being done.
    I read literally 80+ reviews of the "cheapest car in Canada" (Micra), and there was not a single negative one. Many were glowing -- ie. along the lines of "cheap and cheerful". Then again, our auto press is generally nicer than the American press. Even in our Mirage reviews, there were no especially terrible ones as there were in the U.S. Maybe this is partly because Canadians like smaller cars more than Americans. You can see that in our sales figures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    I wish we could get it for that little! I would be first in line with cash in hand! Having a brand new car without having to finance would be amazing - though, I could do that with a Mirage, too. But less money spent is better!

I like the look of the new spark. To me - that has Hyundai written all over it. I'm not saying that because it's a small car, I'm saying it because the Spark just has a lot of Hyundai body lines.
    Could be the same designer that does Hyundai cars? American car companies lack when it comes to design, so wouldn't doubt the change in designers.

I think the Mirage will still be the roomier one of the three. Heck my 2015 Mirage has more room inside than my 2011 Corolla S.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Could be the same designer that does Hyundai cars? American car companies lack when it comes to design, so wouldn't doubt the change in designers.

I think the Mirage will still be the roomier one of the three. Heck my 2015 Mirage has more room inside than my 2011 Corolla S.
    Hyundai had hired Audi TT designers when they started their line makeover with Sonata back in 08? So their designs have alot of German audi bmw etc

Spark is probably looks similar because it is daewoo matiz and there is alot of copycatting in Korean market.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 01-22-2016 at 01:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Hyundai had hired Audi TT designers when they started their line makeover with Sonata back in 08? So their designs have alot of German audi bmw etc

Spark is probably looks similar because it is daewoo matiz and there is alot of copycatting in Korean market.
    They were Audi designers? I thought that Hyundai started to resemble Mercedes around that time.

I wouldn't doubt that.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I read literally 80+ reviews of the "cheapest car in Canada" (Micra), and there was not a single negative one. Many were glowing -- ie. along the lines of "cheap and cheerful". Then again, our auto press is generally nicer than the American press. Even in our Mirage reviews, there were no especially terrible ones as there were in the U.S. Maybe this is partly because Canadians like smaller cars more than Americans. You can see that in our sales figures.
    You've probably read way more Mirage reviews than me, but all of the ones I read before I bought were totally negative. The main problem was that they all priced it as $13,000, and used that against it. Things change when it's $10,000.

nickpon, I should have kept a list of the more positive reviews, because they're definitely out there.

First Canadian $9995 Spark review: positive

This is the first Canadian review I've seen of the base $9995 MSRP Spark, and it sounds like it's quite a bit better than the old one.

The reviewer was pleasantly surprised by the refinement & highway stability vs. Micra & Mirage.

Overall:

This is the runaway value for $10,000.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle29258659/

Still, GM only sold 235 Sparks in Canada last month, vs. 1184 Micras & 451 Mirages. GM Canada is advertising the car heavily online.