Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GM fights back: $9995 2016 Chevrolet Spark Canada's cheapest new car

I think my local Chevy dealer occasionally has a base Spark - I think they were the only trim with the poverty spec wheel covers vs. alloys on the upper trims. Makes 'em easy to spot.

EDIT: never mind. Looks like the base with CVT also had hubcaps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So now you can get ac standard. They bumped the price up $1300 but at least you don't have to spend $10998 plus $4000 for the Plus package to get ac like you would have had to in 2019 and previous years in Canada.

I did a build and price for a new base model spark. There are none available locally. They only have cvt ones for $16000+
    According some of you up north, they were charging an A/C tax on base level Mirages that didn't even have A/C. Now, you are being taxed for something you actually have on the car!!!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Really...how does a screen shot get turned sideway????

But yeah, do a build and price on a 2019 mirage base model with no ac and they have a $100 charge for ac tax.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I've been watching their inventory for a while. Looks like they only have 4 manual transmission Mirages in stock...which is 4 more than any dealer around here has!
    Keep in mind not all dealerships are the same - I called White Bear Mitsubishi when they had zero manuals in stock on a Tuesday. I was interested in their sold out $9,500 new Mirages, & they told me how I could buy one for $9,000. Richard found a manual in my first color choice somewhere else & delivered it to my home that same week on Saturday.

The manager of a Mitsubishi dealership has a much better view of what cars are available. Two minutes on the phone with White Bear & I realized this. He was looking @ Mirages while I am talking to him on his cell phone. Sites like cars.com & kbb.com only scratch the surface. Richard was the manager in 2017, but he is now the owner of White Bear Mitsubishi.

As features have been added to the Mirage, the price has increased. I discussed this with Richard back then, & it was part of my reason for buying then. Brand new Mirages for $9,000 weren't going to be around for much longer, because added features were going to change this. He predicted this, & he was right.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-21-2020 at 08:24 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-21-2020)

I see kia is jacking prices up too. I didn't look up all the specs but for 2019 you could get a cheapo Rio for $14xxxx and for 2020 the lowest price they have on the kia canada site is $18xxx and they don't show a Manual option for 2020, just an IVT (intelligent variable transmission).

Edit: I was looking up the cheapest kia rio which is a sedan, the hatchback rio starts at $15045 for the stripper manual shift 2019 and they still have the manual for 2020 in the hatch starting at $15495. Looks like they don't offer the 6 speed auto in either cheapo car and switched to cvts instead for 2020.

Did some more looking, went on Fords site, the cheapest vehicle they now offer is the ecosport starting at $25000........ Then further down they show the f150 and ranger. The quick specs they list make the Ranger have a higher base price and worse fuel economy. Or maybe they just list the lowest possible prices and the best possible economy? Either way it doesn't make the Ranger look like a good buy.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see kia is jacking prices up too. I didn't look up all the specs but for 2019 you could get a cheapo Rio for $14xxxx and for 2020 the lowest price they have on the kia canada site is $18xxx and they don't show a Manual option for 2020, just an IVT (intelligent variable transmission).

Edit: I was looking up the cheapest kia rio which is a sedan, the hatchback rio starts at $15045 for the stripper manual shift 2019 and they still have the manual for 2020 in the hatch starting at $15495. Looks like they don't offer the 6 speed auto in either cheapo car and switched to cvts instead for 2020.

Did some more looking, went on Fords site, the cheapest vehicle they now offer is the ecosport starting at $25000........ Then further down they show the f150 and ranger. The quick specs they list make the Ranger have a higher base price and worse fuel economy. Or maybe they just list the lowest possible prices and the best possible economy? Either way it doesn't make the Ranger look like a good buy.
    The ranger hasn't been a good buy for almost 20yrs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2020)

Good point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So now you can get ac standard. They bumped the price up $1300 but at least you don't have to spend $10998 plus $4000 for the Plus package to get ac like you would have had to in 2019 and previous years in Canada.
    Well well, only 7 years after I tried to buy a 5mt with the CVT option for $1300 and also the AC option for $1200. No, they told me I could only buy the base 5 mt with a CVT upgrade or AC upgrade, but not both, it appears they finally reversed their stand.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Well well, only 7 years after I tried to buy a 5mt with the CVT option for $1300 and also the AC option for $1200. No, they told me I could only buy the base 5 mt with a CVT upgrade or AC upgrade, but not both, it appears they finally reversed their stand.
    Not sure that I follow your logic totally? You are basically buying a higher trim level (Manual or CVT) Mirage now. It really doesn't matter what you call it. If Mitsubishi wanted auto climate controls to be a standard feature throughout North America, A/C automatically becomes a standard item, too. You wouldn't offer auto climate controls without A/C.

Since the original 2014-15 Mirages had auto climate controls in the States, A/C has always been a standard item here. How they list trim levels (past & present) is sort of mess in both countries in my opinion.

Not offering a base trim level on an economy car is a big mistake in my opinion. If you want to attract new customers, these cars need to start with a much, much lower MSRP. I realize most people pay less. I paid under 66% window sticker myself, but most people don't shop for cars like I do. They drive to the nearest dealer lot and buy a Chevy Spark instead.