Thread: Does changing your oil on your own affect your warranty?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Does changing your oil on your own affect your warranty?

I've heard of manufacturers requiring receipts of oil changes if some warranty work regarding the engine is needed. I'm wonder if that's true.

I'm way away from my first change, but I guess I'm preparing. My part-time job is changing oil, but it would be a fair bit cheaper for me to bring my own supplies do it off-the-books (no receipt) rather than use our supplies and do it on-the-books (receipt).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nickpon For This Useful Post:

anog (01-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mightymirage For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-18-2016),cyclopathic (01-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Keep the receipts. In America what is technically one thing, can often actually be another. Also, when you get under there to change it stuff a bunch or rags under the oil ''sluice'' thing located just under the oil filter. Mine doesn't seal against the block well enough and a small amount of oil had got to the starter/solenoid and its hard to clean up. Oh and with Mobil's M1-110 filter I needed 3 liters 8 ounces.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I change my own. But in prepared to not go to mitsu for most work that may be required. Save the receipts and put the mileage on it.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think it would only be questioned if failure is somehow connected to bad oil, filter or failure to change oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I E-mailed Mitsubishi Canada and asked. Here's their response:

Mitsubishi Motors does not encourage a customer to perform their own maintenance services as a first recommendation. We would recommend for all customers to first have a Mitsubishi dealership perform all services on their vehicles. Should that not be possible, we would then request for the oil changes to be performed at a local facility , if that cannot be done, you may have the maintenance performed. As previously stated, this latter is our last recommendation and we would strongly suggest for the customer to acquire the accurate filter and fluid per our recommendation.
    Looks like I can do it myself with no receipts!

Hm.. I don't see in their reply where Mitsu says they will not request oil change receipts in the event of a warranty claim.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That is true. Also not a fan of the wording for "you may have the maintenance performed"; doesn't make total sense. I'm going to ask them if their response means they won't require a receipt.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    have a notebook of all the dates of when you changed your oil, if you're unable to find your reciepts.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In response to your inquiry, an oil change receipt would definitely be required in the event you decide to perform your own oil changes. Meaning, all over the counter purchases of the filters and oils at your chosen Mitsubishi Parts counter would need to be kept in order to substantiate the maintenance of your vehicle in the possibility of a future warranty claim.

Please retain all purchase and maintenance receipts.
    Sounds like you just need receipt of your oil and filter purchase, hey?