Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote starter installation

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Remote starter installation

Hi all,

I'm new here and I try to find information on the wiring to install a remote start units. I buy a "ebay like" remote start unit and I would like to install this on my mirage 2014.

Is there any diagram where I can find this information ?

Regards

Dumarjo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dumarjo View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new here and I try to find information on the wiring to install a remote start units. I buy a "ebay like" remote start unit and I would like to install this on my mirage 2014.

Is there any diagram where I can find this information ?

Regards

Dumarjo
    What about a OEM unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-MITSUBI...25.m3641.l6368

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    This is not cheap. I already buy something like 100$.

Regards

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $700!!!!! OMG! Thats insane!

Question.. Does remote start come on the Mirage ES in the USA?? I cant sčem to remember. I know it has push button start but what about remote start???

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I think I read somewhere that it not was possible to get remote start together with the pust start button.. but where I can't remember.
    In the eBay link above it says CVT only, but why? The 5speed Mt, has it's handbrake?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    $700!!!!! OMG! Thats insane!
    Try $1022 in Canada where me and OP are.

Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    I think I read somewhere that it not was possible to get remote start together with the pust start button.. but where I can't remember.
    In the eBay link above it says CVT only, but why? The 5speed Mt, has it's handbrake?
    I see that your Mirage is MT, so you will understand. If you leave your car in gear and try to start it with a remote start, there's a bunch of problems. First, the clutch needs to be pushed in to start. Second, if you somehow could override that, the car could be in gear, and it would likely just stall out, or damage the transmission.

I don't think any OEM have MT-compatible remote starters. I have been under the hoods of cars that have an aftermarket sticker stating something along the lines of "warning: this vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission-compatible remote starter system...", but it's always been on automatics. I haven't researched much more into them, mostly because I don't want one. I guess you'd have to keep it in neutral when parked?

Anyway, I hope you can find a diagram. I've worked at dealers before, and they give pretty easy instructions with images showing how to install them. If you can find that, it should be easy. With a basic wiring diagram, though, it'll still be pretty difficult IMO.

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I know that we have to use the clutch when starting the engine in the MT mirage, and I'm used to park it in gear.
    But I think it's weird that it's not possible to get it in a MT, there should be a switch witch detects if the car is in gear or not. And then it's would not be able to start with the remote when it's was in gear. Only if it was in neutral.

Let's say you shut the CVT off in gear, then should it not be possible to start it with the remote start, or is this still possible, as it would get the same issues as with the MT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you know enough about electronics and how to read wiring diagrams it not too difficult to install a remote start on a manual transmission vehicle. I've done it.

I also came out to see my car moved from where it was parked due to the starter physically moving the car because it was in gear. The parking brake was even on and the starter still had enough power to move the car. I later came up with a way to detect if the car was in neutral or not. This would allow or not allowing the car to start with the remote starter. But, I never got around to implementing it on the car before getting rid of it. I removed the starter before selling the car due to safety and liability concerns.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aftermarket systems often have a procedure to make sure it doesn't start in gear, or , rather, you don't leave it shut off in gear. Seems to be more trouble than it is worth - at least for me. I wouldnt want to risk it. if you shut it off in gear without the parking brake, it absolutely can take off on its own.

I just found this oem remote start for $145usd. It says in the description that you need to program the etacs module for this to work though..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-MIT....c100005.m1851

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-14-2019)