Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recreational/Flat/Dinghy Towing a Mirage

Snowman: I happened to see your thread on the trailerlife forum. (http://forums.trailerlife.com/index....d/26976703.cfm)

Small request: could you add a link from there over to this thread where you reference this discussion? It'll help others learn more about the Mirage. (In case it's not yet obvious, I'm rooting for this new small car!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I hunted down an email address for their Japan HQ the same day I started this thread. I got a reply today. Bad news for RVers, I'm afraid. I don't know why it can't be towed but the same car can in the Philippines, unless it is a fear of US lawyers.

Dear Mr. Xxxxx

Thank you for your inquiry about 2014 Mirage. We are sorry for our late
    reply on this matter.

To flat-tow Mirage, with any type of transmission, is not recommended as
    it may damage the car.

For your consideration in purchasing a Mirage, we suggest that you contact
    our authorized distributor in U.S.:

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
    Address : 6400 West Katella Avenue, Cypress, CA 90630-0064, U.S.A.
    Phone : 1-714-372-6000
    Fax : 1-714-373-1020

Interesting.

I suspect there's no technical reason the 5MT ISN'T flat-towable, given the info in the Philippines owner's manual. Will have to see what the U.S. book says. I wouldn't be surprised if it contradicts the email.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

dealer says 5MT Mirage is flat towable

Snowman, if you're still listening:

This YouTube video from a Canadian dealer specifically recommends the manual shift Mirage for dinghy/flat towing.

At the 5:00 mark, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM2I2YykO74

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. I will be interested to see what the US owners manual says. In any event, I went ahead and bought a 2013 Ford Focus SFE, which is towable.

Congrats on the purchase.

I haven't read much about the Focus SFE, but the Fiesta SFE is certainly no slouch in the efficiency department (and reasonably fun to drive). I'm sure the Focus is the same.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    its a front wheel drive so wy just get the front wheels from the ground and your away

I think it's mostly a matter of convenience. Flat towing means you don't need a trailer/dolly, which adds complexity (and weight).

And it seems as though it would be much simpler to just unhook from the tow vehicle and use the car if all four wheels are already on the ground.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, there's still the tedious process of unbolting the tow bar, and then properly clipping the front bumper back in place. I'd find just renting a dolly to be more convenient, but I hate dealing with body panels and snap-o-matic trim clips.

I've never seen people taking the bumper off to tow. I assumed they're usually connected to the tow loops under the bumper, or by special fittings that come through the grille openings: