Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Number of Mitsubishi dealerships in U.S. & other countries -- how many dealers?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    We just got a new Mitsubishi dealer in Portland—Rodger Kehdi Mitsubishi. It used to be a used car lot. I'm very, VERY much hoping it gets a remodel. It's currently bright green with a printed vinyl banner (see photo via their Facebook page).

Plus, I'd say 80% of the stuff they post on their page is used cars (not new), but that seems to be fairly commonplace among Mitsu dealers.

I hope they get a full remodel; I'd love for it to be my Mitsu dealer as it's 5 min from my house.
    There are a lot of things that are way more important than the physical appearance of their building/facilities. My nearest Mitsubishi dealership is about 65 miles from my hometown area. They were a used car dealership that took on Mitsubishi about 2-3 years ago. Visiting them twice was the worst dealership experience that I have ever had, but I appreciated the test drive of one of their Mirages just the same.

In spite of my low opinion of them, they are still selling cars. They still outgrew their original place and have since moved on to a new one. Moving to a nicer building hasn't changed my opinion of them.

If someone asks about my Mirage, I have no problem recommending one. Especially if someone wants a second car to use as a daily driver or just wants a dependable little economy car. If someone asks where they could buy one nearby, I wouldn't have a clue? In my mind, that's a problem Mitsubishi still needs to overcome. A newly formed relationship with Nissan hasn't improved their image in my mind either. Mitsubishi has great potential. People are starting to recognize the value of their product. Their dealership network, however, is a major obstacle.

As far as a product goes, the Eclipse Cross does well against similar products offered by other brands. For example, the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross competes well against the new Jeep Compass. Slightly different vehicles maybe, but even the reviewers are surprised by the Eclipse Cross. One of them even says, "I think Mitsubishi got their Mojo back!"

2018 Jeep Compass vs Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross - see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6OjvSu6CI (drag race between the two)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXfDy0xSoM (off road test)

I suspect Mitsu (and its dealers!) are disappointed at the low sales numbers of the Eclipse Cross. It's in the hottest segment, yet 2019 sales are basically even with the Mirage in its "dying" market segment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    For example, the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross competes well against the new Jeep Compass.
    You're familiar with the phrase "damning with faint praise"?

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I suspect Mitsu (and its dealers!) are disappointed at the low sales numbers of the Eclipse Cross. It's in the hottest segment, yet 2019 sales are basically even with the Mirage in its "dying" market segment.
    I agree. From day one, however, I've wondered if there isn't enough differentiation between the Outlander Sport and the Eclipse Cross. I feel like they need to have one or the other, but not both. Too similar.

I'm too lazy to look up US pricing but here on the Mitsu Canada site it looks like there's under a $2000 price difference between the Outlander and Eclipse cross. But $5k gap between the RVR(Outlander sport) and the Eclipse cross. Unless I was tight on parking space and gas money, I'd just get the larger outlander. Bigger is better right?

Edit: Just checked out the US site. What's so great about the Eclipse, according to the Mitsu USA site it shows the larger Outlander as being better on fuel and not much different in price. I see why the Eclipse would be a fail.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm too lazy to look up US pricing but here on the Mitsu Canada site it looks like there's under a $2000 price difference between the Outlander and Eclipse cross. But $5k gap between the RVR(Outlander sport) and the Eclipse cross. Unless I was tight on parking space and gas money, I'd just get the larger outlander. Bigger is better right?

Edit: Just checked out the US site. What's so great about the Eclipse, according to the Mitsu USA site it shows the larger Outlander as being better on fuel and not much different in price. I see why the Eclipse would be a fail.
    Agreed. IIRC, this was the conclusion most of us here came to before it was even released. In addition to having a stupid name, the Eclipse Cross is basically an Outlander Sport clone, only more expensive.

Why Mitsubishi decided to shoehorn this vehicle in between two very similar extant vehicles is a mystery. Unless the Outlander Sport's days are numbered, the Eclipse Cross is the answer to a question that nobody asked.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-07-2019),Top_Fuel (06-07-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    sub compact: Mirage
    compact: G4
    mid size: Lancer/EVO
    CUV: ? conjecture since Eclipse cross is failing
    create something new from a Nissan Kicks platform? rebadge it, call it the "Katana" or "Ninja Gaiden"
    SUV: Outlander
    small truck: revamped Mighty Max
    big truck: Triton

easy peasy Japanesy, eat your heart out Ghosn

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Mitsubishi hits the US market with that line up, its back to the golden era of the 90s. Toyota Honda would freak out. Hyundai would be curled up in a ball, naked, crying on the kitchen floor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Agreed. IIRC, this was the conclusion most of us here came to before it was even released. In addition to having a stupid name, the Eclipse Cross is basically an Outlander Sport clone, only more expensive.

Why Mitsubishi decided to shoehorn this vehicle in between two very similar extant vehicles is a mystery. Unless the Outlander Sport's days are numbered, the Eclipse Cross is the answer to a question that nobody asked.
    The bottom line is that the Eclipse Cross doesn't even compete all that well against the models Mitsubishi already had. Mitsubishi dropped the 2.4L Outlander Sport (except in the GT) in 2019, because it really made the Eclipse Cross look even lamer in my opinion. The Eclipse Cross is not a bad vehicle, but it's also nothing special. Why waste time copying everyone else? Make something unique or different!

KIA has learned to do this, & it is working for them. Take the KIA Soul for example - it's a unique looking vehicle. It may not appeal to everyone. This one slightly different looking vehicle came out in 2009. Since 2009, the KIA Soul has outsold the entire line up of Mitsubishi. I added up the numbers. Since 2009, over 1,000,000 KIA Souls have been sold in the U.S.

Mitsubishi (all models) is under 800,000 during that same time frame. The KIA Soul has been around for quite some time now. When the next updated model comes out, it will probably continue to outsell the entire line up of Mitsubishi.

Make a car that looks like a square box, & people will take note of it. It's something different! Suzuki under estimated the demand of their latest square box (Jimny). Consumers are going gaga over them! It's a 1.5L (100 hp) square box on wheels, and people love it. Why? It's different than most everything else out there!

If you make the same thing as everything else, why would you go out of your way to buy a Mitsubishi? If you build a vehicle like a Ford Escape, people are going to buy the Ford Escape.

The Mirage is a little unique & odd for our U.S. market. That's why I have one in my driveway.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

The Mirage is a little unique & odd for our U.S. market. That's why I have one in my driveway.
    Ditto. But odd doesn't sell many cars except to us oddballs, but we're few and far between.